complete electric shutdown- ?????

More
09 Jun 2012 18:23 #527846 by kfs
Was out for a ride today; pulled up to a light and all the electrics went dead. Checked all the fuses all appeared to be good. Had to hitch-hike home to get the car and trailer. Got the bike home;checked the fuses with an ohm meter; all good. I have power to the main fuse. But no power from there on. Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated? Thx in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2012 20:33 - 09 Jun 2012 20:34 #527864 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic complete electric shutdown- ?????
I had a similar problem with my KZ.
While on a ride, all power went out 4 or 5 different times.
Lights and engine dead.
But I was lucky that a few seconds later, all came back on, and she started each time.
Once I had the time to check her out, I cleaned the main power wire, the white one running to the 20 amp fuse. Checked and cleaned each connector on the white wires run.
I also cleaned the ignition switche's 6 prong plug with contact cleaner, and carry a spare igition switch just in case.

In the few weeks since I had that problem, she has not had the power failure again.
Hopefully I've found and corrected the problem.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 09 Jun 2012 20:34 by rstnick.

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
16 Jun 2012 14:59 #529604 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic complete electric shutdown- ?????
I have a KZ1000p and have been having intermittant power failures. Mostly the bike just shuts-off--just like shutting off the ignition switch. At the moment, I can get power to the ignition switch, but the starter button does not spin the motor when pressed. I suspect broken wires or broken connectors or maybe a bad fuse box--I just don't know enough about electrical to be confident that I can track down the source of this problem.
This bike has had most of the police gear removed, and the previous owner has done some re-wiring--not so well done.
My question, how do you bypass the starter lockout switches (one on the kickstand, and one at the clutch lever?)
Question 2: Can I check the starter relay by measuring current going to the starter motor--when I depress the starter button? I have tried jumping the contacts on the starter relay... This freaks me out to do this. When I tried it, I got lots of sparks, but the starter motor did not spin.
Could I have a bad starter relay?
Any help you could provide will be appreciated.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
23 Jun 2012 13:13 #531242 by kfs
Replied by kfs on topic complete electric shutdown- ?????
Turns out the problem was the fuse box. It looked clean and corrosion free, clips were snug. But alittle contact cleaner and a Q-tip solved the problem. Amazing it looked clean.