As new instruments for free

More
09 Jun 2012 17:59 #527843 by faffi
As new instruments for free was created by faffi
As they were:

As they are:

The before pictures doesn't show how stained the lenses were - almost as if someone had spilled milk on the inside of all 4 instuments. Everything cleaned out well. Pretty happy with the result, especially since cost was zero :)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
09 Jun 2012 18:30 #527848 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic As new instruments for free
Well, how'd you do it?

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
09 Jun 2012 19:20 #527853 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic As new instruments for free
First was to bend open the ring from the underside, a time- consuming affair working around with a sharp flat screwdriver. Getting the ring opened enough to the it off (and later on again) was a real PITA, but eventually we got there.

I took the best out of 3 top covers and 4 bottom covers, sanded them and painted them with a rattle can I had sitting in the shed.

The speedo mostly dismantled. It had been apart before and the ring was mangled plus painted black plus the inner upper ring was glued in place, preventing complete dismantling.

The red zone and needle tips were treated to a felt pen, here shown with the one that sat on the bike before. The still pale tacho has a greenish face and a flat lense - images mirrored are in natural size - so it probably comes from a different bike than a Z650.

I used a tape made to not lift paint to protect the paint and began by pressing down 4 "corners" with a smooth plier before working all around the circumference.

There are probably people who have learned to open and close the rings without altering their shape in any way, but the outer edges now slope a litle outwards, meaning they do not get fully in against the instrument at the bottom. But you have to study to see it. Still, for a mint restoration job, my job will not do. But for a tidy bike that is a very nice user, I doubt anybody will notice.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
10 Jun 2012 00:52 #527900 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic As new instruments for free
Thanks for the info. Ive been wanting cleaner gauges on my bike but have found it hard to justify the expense of "restored" gauges

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
10 Jun 2012 00:55 #527901 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic As new instruments for free
This link may be of interest:

Click > www.zresto.com/

Here's a diy option from an earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Jun 2012 04:16 #527910 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic As new instruments for free
I cannot quite see how a cut-through band would look better, but either methode works as it seems. Companies that restore these instruments seems to pry them open. Maybe it's even possible to buy new bands?

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• 5150BOT
  • User
  • Lithographer,A&P Mechanic
More
10 Jun 2012 17:27 #528003 by 5150BOT
Replied by 5150BOT on topic As new instruments for free

faffi wrote: I cannot quite see how a cut-through band would look better, but either methode works as it seems. Companies that restore these instruments seems to pry them open. Maybe it's even possible to buy new bands?

Been here done this ;) be sure to make the cut an angle on like / at the bottom where its easily hid a slight slice allows the ring to come off so easy you wont even know it was done and changing the bulbs is a breeze a small amount of rtv to keep out the rain. prying it off it is very hard not to bend or wrinkle the band leaving a cheesy look to it,, unless you plan on covering it

1981 KZ1000K1 LTD

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2012 23:03 #528060 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic As new instruments for free
I'm having trouble reading your post due to your avatar. Quite distracting.

More
11 Jun 2012 22:44 #528328 by JR
Replied by JR on topic As new instruments for free
Nice job faffi :woohoo:

I like the little clock you added to the bars

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust