Blew the main fuse...

• andy9802gt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
06 Jun 2012 20:56 #527325 by andy9802gt
Blew the main fuse... was created by andy9802gt
Well on the way home from work today my bike started acting up like it was misfiring so I started to baby it. Pull in the clutch to downshift and it dies on me, inspecting it leads to a blown main fuse. Replaced it with the one spare I had and made it about a half mile closer to home and it blows again. Call the old lady to bring the truck so I can haul the bike home. First thing I notice upon close inspection is a loose ground on the battery and the positive to the solenoid is loose on both ends, is this enough to blow the main? My bike vibrates quite a bit more than a stocker so they could have been gradually loosening and just finally lost contact causing the fuse to let go. At any rate, off to the garage to get the torque wrench out and start checking everything.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2012 23:18 #527350 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Blew the main fuse...
These bikes have a battery powered ignition, so if your charging system can't keep up with the electrical demand, the engine will act like it's running out of fuel or clogged carbs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• andy9802gt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2012 23:23 #527353 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Blew the main fuse...
Would the battery cables being loose cause the main fuse to blow?

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

More
07 Jun 2012 00:00 #527359 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Blew the main fuse...
Possibly, causing a surge. If in doubt,clean the battery and ground connections, and replace the fuses. The glass tubed ones are AGX in size,some auto parts stores and boating supply places can get them for you. Maybe 10,15,20, or 30 amp ratings are what you'll need.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Jun 2012 00:55 #527373 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Blew the main fuse...
No, loose cables can't possibly blow the fuse. Either bad fuse clips or a shorted wire somewhere.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• andy9802gt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2012 05:53 #527420 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Blew the main fuse...
I am of the mind that loosing ground could blow the main fuse but I don't know for sure.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger

More
07 Jun 2012 06:16 #527422 by PRM068
Replied by PRM068 on topic Blew the main fuse...
Mate....not long ago I had exactly the same problem with my 82 KZ1000. Happened out of the blew too, and I couldn't see any immediate reason.

Before I started buying all new stuff, I went right over the wiring system. I cleaned connections, fixed battery cables, made sure earths were all good, and the result - hasn't happened since.

I may have even posted somewhere on the forum about it.

Go right over your wiring and make sure there's good eart contacts and everything is as it should be.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
07 Jun 2012 06:49 #527424 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Blew the main fuse...
It is possible that the loose connections caused your problem. Assuming a constant resistance(your bike), if voltage goes up, the amperage will go down, conversly if the voltage drops (loose connection), the amperage will go up(enough to blow a fuse). That kind sir is what is known as ohms law.
Hope this helps, Tom

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
07 Jun 2012 11:40 #527464 by RonKZ650
Not exactly. Ohms law is current=volts devided by resistance I=E/R. More volts for the same load=more current drawn. Less volts= less current drawn. Any bad connection causes less volts, hence less current draw through the fuse, however right at the point of bad connection where the volts drop heat is generated at that point. That is why loose fuse contacts burn the fuse, it's not from more amps being drawn, it's the volt drop at that point. So if you have bad grounds, you may have heat generated right at that point, but less current will be actually flowing though the fuse. Same with loose anything, loose battery cables, bad inline connectors, all the same idea. No way on this green earth it's going to blow a fuse. That is Ohms law.

More
07 Jun 2012 13:55 #527481 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Blew the main fuse...
I stated what I meant wrong,appologies. wattage is expressed in volt amps, ie. Watts equal volts X amps. If you wattage stays the same, like your headlights bulb, or any other load on the motorcycle will, and the voltage flickeres or drops, the amperage WILL go up. I agree that the loose connection will disappate some energy in the form of heat, but to smoke a twenty amp fuse, your gonna cook some connectors.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
07 Jun 2012 14:12 #527483 by RonKZ650
I don't mean to argue so will remain quiet after this. :laugh: A bulb rated at 50 watts for instance is 50 watts at whatever volts it was designed to run at, watts will always be less the less voltage applied because the bulb can be thought of as a constant load and ohms law again says current = volts devided by resistance. Less volts cause less current, less illumination of the bulb and less watts consumed. The only place I know of where less volts can cause more current draw is on certain motors, where the volts is too low for the motor to run.

More
07 Jun 2012 14:53 - 07 Jun 2012 15:40 #527488 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Blew the main fuse...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 15:40 by OnkelB.