advice needed - bypassing ignition

More
04 Jun 2012 22:13 - 04 Jun 2012 22:28 #526920 by 46hemi
advice needed - bypassing ignition was created by 46hemi
Hey all, newbie to the kz but not to bikes. Picked up a project bike that someone seemingly lost the key and butchered the switch. Can anyone assist with which wires to jump to activate the stock ignition? Searched around and I know I can have a key made but it looks like the original switch is spent. If the bike runs then I will probably be relocating the ignition so I don't want to waste money on the stock stuff. Any help is appreciated. From what I see its a 6 pin connector with a single separate brown wire out of the connector. Thanks again.

The bike is an 81 kz650 csr
Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 22:28 by 46hemi. Reason: add model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 22:45 #526938 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition
You can find your wiring harness by clicking FILEBASE in the upper right hand corner of this page.
It looks like connecting the White, Brown, and Yellow wires will power up the ignition.

More
04 Jun 2012 22:57 - 04 Jun 2012 23:00 #526941 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition
While we're at it, can someone explain how I can bypass the ignition key on OMR's bike now that it's back together? :whistle: :evil: Oh, and please let me know when he will be out of town for a couple days. Thank you. :) 650Fred

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 23:00 by 650ed.

More
05 Jun 2012 05:31 #526999 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition

650ed wrote: While we're at it, can someone explain how I can bypass the ignition key on OMR's bike now that it's back together? :whistle: :evil: Oh, and please let me know when he will be out of town for a couple days. Thank you. :) 650Fred

You can put a coil mod on omr's and a wire with two roach :blush: I mean alligator clips,then hook it to the battery. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Z1enterprises sell a ignition switch for under 20 bucks. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
05 Jun 2012 08:06 #527007 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Jun 2012 08:28 - 05 Jun 2012 08:45 #527009 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition
I hate you both.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All depends on what your trying to accomplish such as starting/running only, include lights etc... For power to starter button, starting & testing engine, white to brown through N.O. (Normally Open) 20amp switch more then enough....

Maybe this will help, may be a little different then your actual wiring but should be close to give you the idea.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 08:45 by Old Man Rock.

More
05 Jun 2012 08:58 #527017 by 46hemi
Replied by 46hemi on topic advice needed - bypassing ignition
thanks for all of the replies! I am fine with all of the mechanical stuff but when it comes to electrical....well...not so much. :angry:

I am primarily looking to see if I can get it running. Once running I will feel more confident on which direction I should take it. I either want to put it back together as is, or I might just rip it apart and do something custom.

I am guessing from the diagram I will need to jump the single brown wire outside of the connector to the white and yellow. If I am reading that correctly that should give me what I need to juice the coils and get the starter working? I think once I am confident it runs I can test out the lights etc by jumping according to the diagram.

Appreciate all of the replies...hopefully the guy who had it last didnt do any experimental jumping of wires and fry anything out. It definitely looks like they tried to do something but I cant be sure what. The light was missing a screw and it seems the ignition switch is kind of loose so I am sure they experimented - at least they didnt cut the harness.

Of course they screwed up the original switch and the seat lock as well. I am guessing all of those parts can be found - hopefully without needing 13 different keys for one bike!

Thanks and I will report back once i get some time to start messing with it.