Kz 900 coil opinions

More
04 Jun 2012 06:53 #526738 by 762shooter
Kz 900 coil opinions was created by 762shooter
I have a '75 KZ 900 and am having trouble with it just up and losing two cylinders. I will be riding down the road and it will just fall on it's nose and you can tell it just lost two cylinders for a couple seconds then fire and run fine. I checked the points and coils and they seemed fine so I started it up and got about 200 feet from the garage and it did it again.
Points looked very good, probably have less than 500 miles on them.
I removed the coils completely from the bike so there was no question on the readings.
The coils metered 3.6 and 3.8 ohms at the primary with the meter at the 200 ohm setting.
The coils metered 12.5 and 12.7 ohms at the secondary with the meter at the 200K ohm setting.
The plug wires can be removed from the coils so I checked the coils secondary with and without the wires and there was virtually no difference in the readings.

Do you folks think the coils are metering OK or ar they bad?
What would you check next?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 08:06 #526741 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz 900 coil opinions

762shooter wrote: ...'75 KZ 900 ...just up and losing two cylinders. I will be riding down the road and it will just fall on it's nose and you can tell it just lost two cylinders for a couple seconds then fire and run fine. I checked the points and coils and they seemed fine so I started it up and got about 200 feet from the garage and it did it again.
Points looked very good, probably have less than 500 miles on them....
What would you check next?

What would you check next? --
As to the non-combusting cylinders:
Spark quality; plug readings; fuel levels; possibly of too rich pilot circuits.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jun 2012 13:53 #526801 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
What's the compression on all cylinders? Checked the valve clearances lately? Also inside the sparkplug caps, a 5000 ohm resistor may becomming intermittent(I'd change all 4 caps).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Jun 2012 15:10 #526818 by 762shooter
Replied by 762shooter on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
Its been within 500 miles at the most that I checked the compression and valves, I don't remember what the valves were but they were well within spec and the compression was as follows.
#1, 115 psi, 150 after adding a little oil
#2, 100 psi, 125 after adding a little oil
#3, 100 psi, 130 after adding a little oil
#4, 110 psi, 130 after adding a little oil

All the plugs read OK, all were a light brown or tan except #4, it has give me fits with fouling on start up and gets a dark or carbon build up that cleans right off.

This may or may not be related but I'll toss it out there. I checked the air screws and #4 was about one turn out farter than the others so I slowly closed it and about 1/2 turn in from where it was the bike ran better and stopped fouling that plug on startup.

Sorry to sound dumb but how do I check the ohms inside of the caps,from where to where?

More
04 Jun 2012 15:15 #526823 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
Once you've determined the problem, if it's the coils and/or points, I'd suggest going with a Dyna S and the 3.0 ohm coils. It's a very popular upgrade around these parts. :)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
04 Jun 2012 15:23 #526826 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
How old are the coils ? Is it time to upgrade to the Dyna ask suggested ?
Fewer ignition problems with new modern electronics and the cost isnt to bad either. Its your time , money, and riding season

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
04 Jun 2012 15:41 #526830 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
To check the resistance of the sparkplug caps, unscrew them from the sparkplug wires, then put the multimeter in the ohms setting(looks like an upside down horseshoe, the symbol for Omega)range of 20K. Put one probe whre the sparkplug would go, and the other probe where the cap screwed into the sparkplug wire. If the caps are any good, you should see resistance.

Now, if you're using an Analog meter(the kind with the moving needle) you'll need to "Zero" the meter by touching the two probes together, adjusting the "Zero" control until the meter indicates zero.

Digital multimeters do not need "Zeroing" as they self adjust in the resistance settings.Before re-installing the sparkplug caps, cut about 1/4" off the ends for a fresh connection.

If you go with new ignition coils, be they made by Accel or Dyna, the primary wires(the small ones) will come really close to the ignition coils mounting hardware causing a potential electrical short, blowing fuses.Some rider replace the metal coil mounting spacers with plastic or nylon ones.

You'll also need to change the primary wiring terminal ends for the type with ring lugs, as what came with your bike has 1/4" push on connections. I'd say 3/16" or #10 hole lugs will work.

I'd cut off the old lugs, and using a wire insulation stripping tool and then a crimping tool, replace the terminals(lugs).

I'd suspect the primary wire sizes are 22-18 gauge, so #10 or 3/16" RED insulated terminals will be what you'll need. Usually stripping back the insulation 3/16", so the conductor is visible inside the terminal before crimping will work.

Wire Termination Insulation & Sizes
Terminal Insulation Color Wire Sizes
RED
22-18 gauge wire
BLUE
16-14 gauge wire
YELLOW
12-10 gauge wire
RED
8 Gauge
BLUE
6 Gauge
YELLOW
4 Gauge

The ring terminal holes comes in many sizes, from #4 up to 1/2" in most cases, it's a matter of finding the tightest fitting hole to fit the fastener for the termination.

American Wire Gauge(AWG) is backwards to what many people think; that is 22 gauge is many times smaller than 10 gauge even though the number is bigger.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Jun 2012 16:05 #526844 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
Try reversing the coils and see if the problem goes with the coil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Jun 2012 17:22 #526858 by mtkawboy
Replied by mtkawboy on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
One coil fires 1 & 3 , the other 2 & 4. If youre not losing 1 of those pairs of cyls is not likely the coils. With the motor running if it will, wet your finger and touch the pipes, the cold ones are dead.The cyls number #1 on the left sitting on the bike. Let us know which 2 cyls are dead and we can go from there. You also might want to check the voltage coming to the coils & makes sure its 12 volts. Lots of old swtiches & wiring on 34 year old bikes. Check the wires too as mentioned

78-KZ1000/1105, 80 KZ1000, 82 Kawasaki GPZ750, 95 Harley Fatboy, 80 Suzuki GS1100ET, 81 GS1100E parts bike, 83 GS1100SD Katana/1394,78 Yamaha XT500, 81 Yamaha XS650, 78 Yamaha XS650E, 48 Whizzer model J motorbike, 71 Honda CT70H, 71 Honda CT70, 81 IT 250 Yamaha,82 Honda XL100S owned

More
05 Jun 2012 05:54 #527000 by 762shooter
mtkawboy, I believe you are mistaken on the coil to cylinder numbers, one coil fires on #1 and #4 cylinders and the other coil fire the #2 and #3 cylinders.
There is a date stamp on the one coil of something in the April '83 range IIRC.
I have had a Dyna-S DS2-1 for 4 or 5 years brand new in the box, I put it on the bike back then and it screwed up in about 20 miles or less and Dyna give me the tough luck blow off. I had a guy that built high performance and drag bikes at the time take a look at it and how it was installed, he said he didn't see any problems and since he was a Dyna dealer/installer he called them and sent it in but it still cost me like 45 bucks to have them fix their junk. Frankly I just left it in the toolbox when it came back because of the trouble I had reinstalling the point ignition when the Dyna failed.
I may have to buy a set of coils and reinstall the Dyna-S.

Ok, should I go with the Dyna green coils?
Should I go with 7 or 8 mm wires and copper core or suppression core?

More
05 Jun 2012 06:06 - 05 Jun 2012 06:11 #527001 by 762shooter
As soon as I get a chance to borrow a timing light I am going to recheck the timing and point gap but I don't think that is the problem.

BTW, it doesn't miss/cut out long enough for me to pick out which coil is messing up and being that I have a defibrilator in my chest I'm not even supposed to be messing with it, lol.
But we won't tell my wife will we?

:whistle:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 06:11 by 762shooter.

More
05 Jun 2012 08:18 - 05 Jun 2012 08:27 #527008 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Kz 900 coil opinions
Since occurring within 200 feet, cold start go for a short ride until it happens, feel exhaust headers, which two are colder...

Or better yet, with rear wheel raised so as to go through gears if needed, start engine, warm her up... Rev her and there until it happens.... With TIMING LIGHT, check all 4 plug wires, which two are missing strobe effect...?

How old are the condensers...?
Your meter a capacitance measurement mode to measure the condensers...

Plug wires and caps stiff/brittle as well...

I'm with others, Dyna S 3ohm coils (Green), Dyna plug wires w/caps and IE ignition...
Just make sure to Notify Jeff/crew (Z1 Ent) on which advancer unit you have (2 different mounting plate slots).

If nothing else and coils measure out to specifications, insure Vdc at coils is to spec/tight terminations, and feeds from points plate is all good. Not to mention your carb settings are right as well. Carbs sync'd...?

Coil Measurement's should be ~ 30K on the secondary, your short of that in your measurements...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 08:27 by Old Man Rock.