Another reg/rect question

More
02 Jun 2012 13:46 #526449 by Mullineaux
Another reg/rect question was created by Mullineaux
A couple of riders have commented on my front headlight being really dim. It may be a 35/50w bulb and I think it's wired (installed?) backwards to the hi/lo switch. I have noticed it gets significantly brighter when the engine revs. I have done some electrical modifications including the coil wiring mod and installing a 80's electric ignition. It seems to me there probably isn't much slack in the electrical system. The engine is a B1 type with three wires coming off the stator. I've gone through with contact cleaner and cleaned just about everything except the bundle in the headlight. I'm wondering if a modern 3 phase reg/rect will help make the most of the juice the stator puts out. I'm contemplating a h4 headlight setup but that won't really help on an already lean electrical system. I haven't tested the reg/rect yet but I've read that there's little that can go wrong with these stators.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2012 18:38 #526471 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Another reg/rect question
I'll refer you to:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/525274-h4-headlight-conversion

Use the search function and you'll find some spirited discussions concerning the electrics and the stators on the older, smaller displacement bikes. I recall something about upgrading them to the 3 phase to resolve the weak output and there was talk about the regulator/rectifier that goes with it.
Best of luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mullineaux

More
02 Jun 2012 19:22 #526474 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Another reg/rect question
Well, the kz650 B1 has a three phase dynamo though I dont know it's relative strength or weakness. It was an odd design for the time. Excited field coil or something. I performed the tests my manual recommended for my rectifier and had a hard time getting any readings at all. :unsure: Searches seem to point to regulators being a weak link, I should check that out too.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])

More
02 Jun 2012 20:21 - 02 Jun 2012 20:23 #526485 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
I recall the lack of permanent magnets in the dynamo was a key point. Your dynamo has to have a properly functioning battery (which relies on a properly functioning reg/rec) in order for it to produce voltage correctly. There are replacement stators out there designed to put out more current than the OEM in order to get over this weakness but I wouldn't trust the original regulator or rectifier with the higher output stator. The combo reg/rect units are better able to handle the increased input.

The 1000 didn't have this problem but I still replaced the harnesses with new, new fuse box, combo reg/rect, cleaned and or replaced the grounds, did the coil power mod and installed solid state flasher units, now I don't have any issues. The bike starts immediately every time and all lights work correctly.

Debating over the H4 or some other headlight as mine is dimmer than I care for because it's got the ancient Stanley headlight still in there.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 20:23 by DiamondSkyBlue1000.

More
02 Jun 2012 21:10 #526490 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Another reg/rect question
The 77 KZ650 charging system uses a field coil to provide the magnetism. The alternator is plenty strong as long as everything is in working order, and the alternator is maintenace free... no brushes etc to maintain.

However, the regulator is mechanical and does need maintenance. the contacs should be cleaned if they are burned, and you may have to adjust the voltage by bending a tab (refer to manual for details).

In my opinion, you can do yourself a big favor by converting the regulator to a solid state type. OregonMotorcycleParts.com has a good one at a good price. But you will want to make sure the rest of the caharging system is working properly per the manual.

More
02 Jun 2012 22:44 #526502 by Renthorin
Replied by Renthorin on topic Another reg/rect question
I went the route of just replacing my rectifier and regulator. Oregon Motorcycle Parts has great stuff and it plugs right in. No modifications necessary.

Before I upgraded, my charging system would be fine one ride...then no juice the next (dim lights) then back up to strength the next ride.

Now, constant 14.5 volts all the time.

Will

1977 kz650 B
Dexter Michigan, USA.

Just the average boy next door. I enjoy: SCUBA, drag racing, car shows, dog shows, dog agility, dog sledding, camping (tent), hiking, target shooting (gun/crossbow), landscaping/gardening, and finally getting back into motorcycles.

More
02 Jun 2012 22:55 #526504 by Mullineaux
Replied by Mullineaux on topic Another reg/rect question
Holy kawberries batman I just totally enawesomed my bike! I grabbed ye olde analog multi-meter and measured the rectifier again and everything was right on spec. (digi meter read diodes as open?) So I recleaned the contacts to the regulator. I popped the hombre open and cleaned the contacts on the points. The contacts for position 1 (low rpm or off) were extremely kruddy. I checked all the resistances and they were on spec. I put it all back together, which was the biggest pita of the procedure. When I fired up the bike dang that light was brighter than I had ever seen. There was only a little popping and sputtering on warm up. And warm up was short! Only a couple minutes instead of the almost 10 I'm used to. I've been chasing an electrical gremlin for a while and I think I just caught the biggest one!

Mechanical voltage regulator, that crazy 70's technology! I'm so used to solid state, I didn't even think it could be that big of a problem.

More
02 Jun 2012 23:55 #526511 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Another reg/rect question
I would recomend the solid state replacement as well. I did mine years ago and never even thought of looking back. It's not to expensive, and the solid state units are maintenance free.

Cheers!

Tom

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
03 Jun 2012 02:23 #526543 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
That's great news. I like to hear the outcome, usually guys just disappear and we never find out if anything we recommended worked!