Please Help, not sure what else..

More
31 May 2012 21:51 #526194 by cgsandflea
Please Help, not sure what else.. was created by cgsandflea
Bike: 77 kz 750 twin
mods: open exhaust pipes, pod air filters,coil mod, and 1" drag bars with honda controls.
jets: 50pilot 135 mains
fuel level set
carbs sync'ed
new coil, ngk plugs and caps.
timing set with light, points cleaned and adjusted.

The problem started when I replaced the cam cover gasket due to an oil leak and taking the bike for a test ride. Before the gasket change the bike ran perfect, no problems and jetting was perfect. Now the bike makes a click sound and the bike hesitates for a second when cruising between 40 and 58 mph. Almost sounds like the relay for the coil mod is losing signal and shutting off then back on quick. So I disconnected the coil mod and tested, same thing happens, a loud click sound and hesitation then it will be fine for a few minutes then happen again. If I go 60-70mph perfect, no problems.

I went through the wire harness from the head light to the tail light checking all connections for a short or break. I didn't find anything wrong, I also cleaned the terminals while in there. I do have a known charging issue, when testing charging system as per the manual the stator tested good, but the rectifier did not test good. It failed the ohms test, but no short during test. while running at 3k rpm battery volts are only 11.5VDC. I do know the battery is toast too. Could my problem just be a bad rectifier and battery? I have a rectifier on order from oregon motorcycle parts and coming and plan on getting a battery after rectifier install. I still have original condenser and points contactor.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Please

77 kz750 b1, with help from this site restored in 5 months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.