brake warning light stays on

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
29 May 2012 14:07 - 29 May 2012 14:08 #525666 by riverroad
brake warning light stays on was created by riverroad
Hi all, again, I haven't been on here for a long time. Just proves how dependable the old girl is.
This time it's just a minor annoyance.
Can't figure out why my brake light stays on. My brake light in back works fine with either the front or back brake actuated, but the light on the dash won't go out when I let go of the brakes.
Can anybody tell me where to look?
1980 KZ1000LTD B4.
Last edit: 29 May 2012 14:08 by riverroad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2012 15:01 - 29 May 2012 15:06 #525678 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic brake warning light stays on

riverroad wrote: ...brake light stays on. My brake light in back works fine with either the front or back brake actuated, but the light on the dash won't go out when I let go of the brakes.
1980 KZ1000LTD B4.

Does the dash light stay off at first (normal), then light up when either brake is applied (normal), but remains on thereafter even when all braking is released (abnormal)?

In any event, would check for loose or corroded connection at the brake light failure indicator switch.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 May 2012 15:06 by Patton.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
30 May 2012 08:16 #525829 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic brake warning light stays on

Patton wrote:

riverroad wrote: ...brake light stays on. My brake light in back works fine with either the front or back brake actuated, but the light on the dash won't go out when I let go of the brakes.
1980 KZ1000LTD B4.

Does the dash light stay off at first (normal), then light up when either brake is applied (normal), but remains on thereafter even when all braking is released (abnormal)?

In any event, would check for loose or corroded connection at the brake light failure indicator switch.

I washed the bike about a month ago, and the light has stayed on ever since. It only turns off when I turn the bike off. Otherwise it's always on.
I saw that brake light failure indicator switch on my Clymers wiring diagram, but can't locate it on the bike. Know where it is? And thanks Patton!

More
30 May 2012 09:10 #525838 by JEFFG1
Replied by JEFFG1 on topic brake warning light stays on
you mite want to check the switch on the frame behind the pedel it has a little spring on it you mite have bent it alittle when you washed it if that is the case you mite have to readjust it .

1976 KZ 900 PRO STREET 1977 kz1000 dragbike project

More
30 May 2012 12:05 #525854 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic brake warning light stays on

JEFFG1 wrote: you mite want to check the switch on the frame behind the pedel it has a little spring on it you mite have bent it alittle when you washed it if that is the case you mite have to readjust it .

Yes, and the rear brake switch or the front brake switch isn't disconnecting when brakes aren't being applied. Perhaps moisture inside the rear switch is preventing it from disconnecting when released. Or maybe the adjustment is set too tight, and could be readjusted to require further pedal motion before it connects inside. May use finger to assist closure of the rear switch to see whether the brake light goes off.

The front brake switch is a pressure switch activated from increased pressure in the brake hose while the front brake is being applied. Possibly the switch has gone bad, and is always connected, even without any pressure. Could remove one of the wires connected to the switch, and see whether the brake light goes off.

The Brake Light Failure Indicator Switch is probably located underneath the fuel tank.
May have three wires (perhaps yellow; black; green/white) connected into the main wiring harness via a 3 piece connector.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 May 2012 13:33 - 30 May 2012 13:34 #525877 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic brake warning light stays on
Just to be sure I understand, the brake light itself functions properly right? It's just your dash indicator that's the issue?

If I've got that right, it isn't the rear pedal switch or the front pressure switch.

Fault indicator under the tank sounds like the culprit. Or pull the dash bulb and see if something has shorted there.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Last edit: 30 May 2012 13:34 by Topper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
30 May 2012 14:16 #525882 by riverroad
That would be correct Topper, the rear switch and the front pressure switch both function properly. The rear brake light on the rear fender illuminates when either the front brake or rear brakes are applied, and turns off when I let go of the brakes. It's just the dash brake warning light that constantly stays on.
So, it has to be a dash light problem, or that fault indicator thingy that's causing it. But I do specifically remember it came on and stayed on right after I washed it. I may have hit the dash too hard with the spray wand and got water inside the dash assembly, but since it happened over a month ago, I would've thought any moisture would have dried out by now. Of course, it could be corroded under there too. So I'll take my dash apart next chance I get.

More
30 May 2012 16:22 #525907 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic brake warning light stays on
Sounds like a plan. Recently I've noticed my neutral indicator light glows faintly when the bike is wet. I haven't tried to track it down yet, but I'm guessing there's a short somewhere in that line.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
02 Jun 2012 01:31 #526387 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic brake warning light stays on
Hey Don, haven't talked to you in years. I've still got my KZ as well, we need to ride sometime! I have the opposite problem of you.... my brake light indicator quit working. I think its a bad bulb socket, but have been too lazy to deal with it. I know its off topic but haven't seen you on here in quite a while.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 Jun 2012 13:25 #527054 by riverroad
Hey Todd. Sure has been a long time! You still livin in Jerseyville?
I don't work at Boeing anymore. Took a job as a Plant Manager in an explosives plant. I try to manage through binoculars now LOL!
Still haven't gotten around to fixing my lit up brake indicator. Just like you I'm too damned lazy or busy to mess with it. ;)
I was going to ride with Jeff and Steve over the Memorial day, but my sister in law from Chicago showed up with her new husband. I never even got a cgance to call them guys and tell them I was busy.
Yeah I wouldn't mind going for a ride sometime. Just don't know when.