Engine idling high with light switch

More
23 May 2012 01:05 #524189 by Tabata
Engine idling high with light switch was created by Tabata
Whats up guys? Well i tried searching around but honestly, i am not quite sure what to search for. I have a 82 CSR 650. So here is the problem. When the bike is idling, I flip the headlight switch, and the revs jump up. When i first did it, it actually jumped up close to the red line and starting backfiring like a mofo. I currently have to start the bike with the battery charger/starter we have at work. Before i can switch the charger off when the bike starts, the engine revs are also high. As soon as i turn the charger off, the revs go back down to normal. What might cause this? I tried searching but i honestly dont know what i am searching for. Thanks in advance. Oh and if it makes any difference, although i dont see why, this is the first time i got it started. The carbs were completely gummed up and i finally got them clean. Started the bike up and this is what happened.

-Kyle

Here is a video of the problem
Bike reving up

1982 csr650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 May 2012 01:20 #524193 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Engine idling high with light switch
Id start with checking regulator/charging system B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tabata

More
23 May 2012 01:56 #524200 by Tabata
Replied by Tabata on topic Engine idling high with light switch
Thanks a lot man. I ordered a new battery from Z1 so hopefully it gets here soon so i dont have to keep cranking the bike off the battery charger. I am scared i might have fried something while attempting to get the bike started. hopefully not though. Thanks again for the quick response.

1982 csr650

More
23 May 2012 09:57 #524237 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Engine idling high with light switch
I hope you haven't cooked the electrics on your bike, but for future reference do not use a battery charger to start your bike. You can start your bike by jumping it from a car battery with the car engine NOT running. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 May 2012 13:11 #524250 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Engine idling high with light switch
The video sounds like you are running on two cylinders at idle. When it revs up it sounds like the other two cylinders start firing.

Either there is a wiring problem, or there is a voltage-related problem that is affecting the two non-firing cylinders.

More
23 May 2012 16:28 #524292 by Tabata
Replied by Tabata on topic Engine idling high with light switch
Thanks guys. I will check all of that. I feel really dumb for not using a car battery. I work in a freakin garage for christ sake. >.> well hopefully the damage isnt to bad. Once i get the new battery I will let you guys know the deal with the regulator/charging systems and what not.

1982 csr650