hot wire kz

More
18 May 2012 05:17 #523062 by spark23ca
hot wire kz was created by spark23ca
i'm looking at my book..here on my kz 1000 1982...it would appear to me that i do not need the stator hooked up in order for it to fire...just for it to charge..i just bought a flywheel wich was as hard to find as cutting teeth and it looks like someone soldered the wires and forgot to cover them...so now i have a burned stator ..i don't even have to test it to see its burnt ..it is burnt to a char...i'm just wondering if i could test for fire and maybe get this thing to run b4 i spend another bunch of money on parts and realize the motor is shot or something else

1982 kz 1000 ltd ..someone started to make a bobber out of it and realized it didnt' run and they didn't know how to run their wrenches

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 09:52 #523074 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic hot wire kz
That is what I would so. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
18 May 2012 13:40 - 18 May 2012 16:13 #523141 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic hot wire kz
With a good charged battery, the bike should perform just fine without any charging components whatever, until the battery runs down.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 May 2012 16:13 by Patton.

More
18 May 2012 16:05 #523168 by spark23ca
Replied by spark23ca on topic hot wire kz
haha thanks thats awesome thank you very much for your input .

1982 kz 1000 ltd ..someone started to make a bobber out of it and realized it didnt' run and they didn't know how to run their wrenches

More
18 May 2012 16:15 #523171 by spark23ca
just to make clear ...i'm kinda slow lol....the spark comes from the battery and not the stator...the stator just charges the battery and runs the tach and such ?

More
18 May 2012 17:58 #523195 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic hot wire kz
Yep, it's part of the charging system, not at all part of the ignition. Some riders call it a magneto(not true). It's more a A.C. generator(alternator).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2012 04:32 #523298 by spark23ca
cool thanks for the input..i've been waiting for a rotor with magnets all this time just to find out my stator was bad too...but i fired er up tonight ..it ran but ran bad...there are no breather boots on it and there hadn't been any gas in it in along time it looks like ..would imagine it will run cleaner after i put some plugs in it and clean the carbs out good..the ethanol in the fuel makes it pretty gummy within a few months of sitting..i also didn't know that oil sprayed out of engine if the mag cover is off..found that out the hard way was checkin for a bad seal when my stepson bumped the starter switch..i surprised it even rolled over but the gears didn't come off when i took the cover off..but i guess there's a whole there beside the gear to oil the gears or something ? does the rotor run in oil all time?? i wouldn't think it would work that way but i can't figure anything else out

More
19 May 2012 05:05 #523300 by spark23ca
was wrong ..its five am here haha...so don't judge...the stator cover blocks that oil passage off ..i don't know what its there for if it gets blocked off but the stator cover was is cracked at the bottom and the gasket is definitely bad ..theres a whole chunk missing actually ..i wonder who is giving these people tools lol...anywhere there's is a fillips headed screw its stripped and the allen heads where over tightened enough to crack the covers and stripped..had to drill them ALL out