• munkybrain2010
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Clueless..
More
16 May 2012 00:05 #522612 by munkybrain2010
Burning out coils left and right!!! was created by munkybrain2010
THE STORY

So I burned my stock coils. maybe not such a bad thing, they were old and decrepit. I thought I fixed the cause.

Put new emgos on and do new points and condensers as well. I ride the getocycle around for awhile...a very short while...

One coil blows and I get another one.

While I ride with an old good one on it runs fine. I get the new one on and promptly blow my other new one.

So I put the old one on again with the newly sent emgo and it screams again.

I thought the condensers had been grounding out against the points spring when I put the cover on because it seemed a little tight. I pulled it off and went for about a 40 mi ride last night and all seemed well!

today I head out for some ciggs and .5 miles away it dies and wont start. I dont have it at my house now but the carbs were getting gas. and it cut out on two cylinders then totally died and wouldnt start.

The Questions

Can shorting between the condensors and points cause a coil to burn up?

If this was fixed what else would cause this problem??

Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2012 03:08 #522638 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Burning out coils left and right!!!
Get a voltmeter and check what the system voltage is when the engine is revved up to maybe 3k. Should be 14V, if higher than 14.5V, that's what kills coils.

A bad condenser should not kill a coil, will wear points out quick.

If you short the case of the condenser to the points, it should not run at all since the coil's negative lead would be permanently grounded.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 May 2012 09:44 - 16 May 2012 09:47 #522662 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Burning out coils left and right!!!
Coils with points should have a Ballast Resistor to drop the voltage across the coils and so then points. So if you measure your battery voltage, then the voltage at the coils, you should be lower, probably a good 2v maybe 3 depending on the resistor in the circuit.

There is probably a wiring diagram for your bike in "File Base" at the top right corner of the KZR page. It should show the resistor, but not the Ohm value. The service manual will tell the Ohm value.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 16 May 2012 09:47 by Motor Head.

• munkybrain2010
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Clueless..
More
16 May 2012 12:52 #522702 by munkybrain2010
Replied by munkybrain2010 on topic Burning out coils left and right!!!
i think my regulator is fried, now that i think about it my headlight was burnt out and so was my taillight. I rewired it all together with the feed from the generator through the reg rec going straight to power everything else. Has to be it! right?

Thanks bounty hunter! I was thinking though I have inline fuses en route to all my lights and coils, why wouldnt it pop? amps wouldnt increase with voltage?

I have a 79 and redid all the wiring. Ill have to check for a resistor in my manual and see what comes up.

Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"

More
16 May 2012 13:04 #522706 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Burning out coils left and right!!!
The alternator output may be as high as 50 volts, blowing out light bulbs,inition coils, and other elecytival devices.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 May 2012 15:29 - 16 May 2012 15:30 #522721 by bountyhunter

Motor Head wrote: Coils with points should have a Ballast Resistor to drop the voltage across the coils and so then points. So if you measure your battery voltage, then the voltage at the coils, you should be lower, probably a good 2v maybe 3 depending on the resistor in the circuit.

Nope, not on 79 Kawi's. They use a 12V coil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 May 2012 15:30 by bountyhunter.

More
16 May 2012 15:30 #522722 by bountyhunter

munkybrain2010 wrote: Thanks bounty hunter! I was thinking though I have inline fuses en route to all my lights and coils, why wouldnt it pop? amps wouldnt increase with voltage?

Yes, but the heat probably killed them first. Coils run super hot to begin with.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• munkybrain2010
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Clueless..
More
24 May 2012 02:27 #524438 by munkybrain2010
Replied by munkybrain2010 on topic Burning out coils left and right!!!
Right on I put a reg rec from a kz750 and it works perfect. After burning all the crudd off the two spark plugs that werent firing my bike purrs like a kitten, an ugly kitten but still!

Now its time to make it look pretty ;)

Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"