1976 kz750 regulator question

More
26 Apr 2012 23:00 #518305 by KZCool
1976 kz750 regulator question was created by KZCool
I have a 1976 KZ750 and just tried to use my electric start for the first time in a long time, and its not working. followed the wiring diagrams untill I have voltage going into the regulator but none coming out. Is it pretty safe to say that it is burnt out? any simple tests I can run?

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2012 23:09 #518307 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1976 kz750 regulator question
If you could tell me how you got to the regulator from a non working starter, it would help a lot :)

KD9JUR

More
27 Apr 2012 20:32 #518454 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic 1976 kz750 regulator question
I wasnt sure if it had anything to do with it in the first place, but I started at the starter solenoid where there was no juice coming in, then traced it up to the starter button and to the kill switch. that led me down to the a wire that is supposed to have the regulator and ignition switch. my diagram makes it look like the ignition switch send power to the regulator then to the starter button and relay.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
28 Apr 2012 00:43 - 28 Apr 2012 00:44 #518479 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1976 kz750 regulator question
Short and sweet test of starter.

Make sure bike is in neutral.

Using jumper cable attached to a good battery (car is ok), attach neg (ground) to engine mount bolt.
Touch positive clamp to starter power stud on starter.

If starter works touch positive clamp to starter solenoid where starter wire attaches.

If starter works then disconnect jumper cables and use a short jumper wire to jump between the positive cable on the starter solenoid and the small wire on the solenoid.

If the starter works then your problem is in the starter circuit wiring, which includes the shut off switch on the right handlebar, the clutch switch on the clutch on the left handle bar, or the starter button itself.

My experience has been that the biggest cause of the starter not working is the starter button, followed by the clutch switch (you do know you must squeeze the clutch handle for the starter to work?), and seldom does the shut off switch go bad.

If your regulator is bad then the battery is going dead or boiling.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 28 Apr 2012 00:44 by steell.

More
28 Apr 2012 22:32 #518573 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic 1976 kz750 regulator question
After som more time, i foumd the problem. My kill switch had a loose connection, but now my new battery isn't giving enough juice to my starter (which works). I put a voltmeter on the battery. it only charges to 10, and as soon as I turn the ignition on, it drops to about 7 volts. turn the key off and its up to about 10 again. Is that normal? I'm using a 6/12 volt tender that automatically changes to match the battery. I'm wondering if maybe its faulty and just charging with a 6 volt supply.

1976 KZ750 hardtail