kz750 charging issues

More
24 Apr 2012 23:59 #517924 by bearshawk
kz750 charging issues was created by bearshawk
Hey guys, this is a particularity difficult situation i am in. my bike is at home 5 hours away and my dad has been riding it around quite a bit this spring. Its having some charging issues and i have directed him to get some deoxit and go front to back cleaning all the electrical connections, checking to make sure the battery (brand new) is holding a charge and functional.

i do have one question, i have a kz750 motor in my bike (650sr frame) and it has all worked fine for me. however i just thought that maybe the R/R was different in the two bikes and this might contribute to the issue. when i have searched on ebay for R/R the 650 and 750 come up as the same part. Is this true?

if not, i think im going to upgrade to a new stator and RR, just to be safe. i am also contemplating getting a new wiring harness made up just to be sure all the wiring is good.

if after my dad cleans all the electrical connections, assures the battery is good, and we still have charging issues i can assume that it is either the RR or stator am i correct?

1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2012 00:05 #517927 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz750 charging issues
I'd use this guide for troubleshooting: www.electrosport.com/technical- resources/diagnosis-center/fault-finding-guide

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Apr 2012 00:29 #517933 by bearshawk
Replied by bearshawk on topic kz750 charging issues
thanks Mfolks, as usual very prompt on help, i actually found this link in another thread and forwarded it to my dad, we will see what he says, i dont know if he is comfortable enough to do the tests himself, and the bike is 5 hours away from me... if i had to guess its just the connections someplace.... the connectors in the headlight bucket are a mess and i have an issue with the high beam and guage lights already.

i hope that cleaning all connections and some basic tests will help diagnose the problem.

cheers,
ian

1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

More
25 Apr 2012 00:50 #517936 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz750 charging issues
It can be a weak battery,possible burned out phase(s) on the stator of the alternator(most are 3 phase, although the Kz650's had single and three phase systems,depending on the model and year),corroded electrical connections, or a rectifier/regulator going out.

Check the heavy duty cables going from the batery to the starter solenoid,engine mounting bolt, all all the grounds(the ones with the Black/yellow stripes).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)