Burnt Coils?? Pt 2

• munkybrain2010
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Clueless..
More
24 Apr 2012 18:50 #517833 by munkybrain2010
Burnt Coils?? Pt 2 was created by munkybrain2010
I rode my bike about 2 miles from my house came back out of the DMV and it wouldnt start and kept poppin fuses. I tried to put foil around the fuse to get home but the bike would start long enough for me to get my helmet on and die. Im assuming because it shorted once i stood the bike up.

I came back the a few days later after it got rained on and had beem sitting to discover my power to my blinkers were shorting and theyre on the same wire the power to my coils is on (i redid my whole wiring harness)

I corrected this and the bike still wouldnt start so i trucked the bike home.

I even cleaned the points with some emery cloth and a business card.

I thought I fried my coils but I got some CB750 coils and it woulld spark everytime I kicked it, fat and blue.and sounded like it wanted to start but wouldnt go all the way. I just put my old coils on and if I bridge the gap on the points I can get both coils to spark but it still wont start, this used to be a first kick starter 10 days ago. :angry:

:( :( Is bridging the gap in the points a valid test for good/bad coils?

My points cover was a little loose and got rained on could this be the culprit? Maybe condensors?

Do you guys think coil/coil grounding could be at fault?

What could have happened/fried in ten days??

I really want to get riding any help would be much appreciated this is the only bike currently running/ titled!!

Thanks for any help!

Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• munkybrain2010
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Clueless..
More
24 Apr 2012 21:31 #517879 by munkybrain2010
Replied by munkybrain2010 on topic Burnt Coils?? Pt 2
I think I only blew up one coil. The bike magically started and I rode it around my neighborhood for a couple minutes and it died with a bunch of brown smelly goo fizzing out of my left coil. I think its safe to say its fried...RIP little coil... Im actually happy.. now that I know what the problem was I can fix it and get back to some riding!

I just ordered 2 new 4 ohm coils for the getocycle and some points along with a condensor for the full tune up. :laugh: :woohoo:

Keep it together man!

79 KZ650 "Geto Cycle"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.