L.E.D. Lighting?

More
17 Apr 2012 04:02 #516290 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic L.E.D. Lighting?

jdbusch wrote: so with the whole nine inch thing and the load resistors thing if i were to just get the solid state flasher fuse, turn signal bullets front and back and a set of the led 1157s i should be plenty bright and not have to worry about anything else?

yes

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 09:41 - 17 Apr 2012 09:45 #516304 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
Do some research, LOTS of research. there are dozens of LED drop in 1157s for example that throw less light than a cheap 20 year old bulb. Some are VERY directional, you only see that fancy bright light in the add on their webpage if you're no closer than 20 feet and directly in line with the bulb. Step 10 feet to the side and its a dull glow.

www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/halogen/

www.superbrightleds.com/

I can't suggest strongly enough that you spend more time than asking a question in one forum.
There is a hard core group of gentlemen here that are quite literally an ethereal encyclopedia on our bikes- but LED's are subject to constant marketing change, a very gray "DOT" allowance and out right lies and obfuscation when it comes to websites talking about their products.

For me, cleaning each and every electrical contact from stem to stern increased how bright the factory setup was. Then, I added LED's to the system, they are such a low draw everything works perfectly. So far, just my brake setup- and brother, its BRIGHT- At night I've seen the person on my license plate squint when I kept flashing the brake lever. I posted pics on some other thread.

I may go LED but haven't made up my mind yet. I want to add additional guide lights and front markers. Its easy to stack LED's on your system once its setup.
My main concern with LED's was radial illumination.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 09:45 by Medina.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdbusch

More
17 Apr 2012 16:07 - 17 Apr 2012 16:08 #516359 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
Good point: probably 99.99% of the LED replacement units out there are too dim, especially the junk they sell on ebay. Be wary of the "multiple LED' style. The Luxeons are the only ones I found which are actually brighter than standard bulbs and have a pretty wide light dispersion (130 degrees wide).

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 16:08 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdbusch

More
23 Apr 2012 09:46 #517512 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
www.webbikeworld.com/lights/led-brake-lights-for-motorcycles/

Good website, spend 30 minutes and you'll probably keep the incandescents unless you drop big bucks to replace reflectors and lens.
just my .02 your mileage may vary

I will say I added a 3rd taillight/brake light and that was LED and HUGE in lighting up cagers behind me. It was SO simple. I simply took some readings with my volt meter at the rear bulbs- added the additional 50 LED's and checked the voltage again...another 1.something draw? for all that light? No brainer.
I will also add more LED's to the front for guide lights- the goal being to give cagers a better 3D view.
single headlight means they cant determine distance. three lights spread as far apart as possible allow human brain to determine distance, closing or parting speed.

I replaced my 1157's with 2397's
I love it when I find a "review" that supports stuff I already figured out
www.webbikeworld.com/lights/led-brake-lights-for-motorcycles/

stay safe, stay seen!

BTW, in that study NHS did since 1976 of motorcycle fatalities, three groups were "underrepresented". White helmets, fluorescent jackets and dirt bike riders-

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

More
23 Apr 2012 13:20 #517561 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
I have a LED tail from an 07 ZX6R on my KZ. They are also available in the integrated style. I'm using one on the ZX600 ($26 shipped on ebay) but going with the standard config on the KZ. I'm not concerned about the spacing, nobody gets hassled for it here, just use hand signals if in doubt. The ZX6R is a wide narrow light too, a little over 7", so the spacing is pretty decent.

I didn't have to do anything to the existing wiring to get the tail working. However my aftermarket turn signals wouldn't flash, even though they used incandescent lamps. I swapped in an electronic flasher and it's been good ever since.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

• BikeDude2002
  • User
  • Today is a good day to ride...
More
01 May 2012 23:38 #519239 by BikeDude2002
Replied by BikeDude2002 on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
Flasher units from www.cwswiring.com will accommodate a combination of leds and regular bulbs!

78 KZ650 SR
90 Yamaha Radian

More
02 May 2012 02:26 #519260 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
Good topic.

Patton, are you saying the red panel brake light indicator (idiot light) shd light up when your brakes are normally applied, and then shut off after the brakes are released? Its been +15 years since I had my bike on the road (I can't remember). Is this for the Z1 & KZ up to 1980?

Also, I just bought LED turn signals and a tail light but they are the 2nd gen. LED's. They are claiming they are much brighter.... anyone have any info on this.

Thanks, Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
02 May 2012 06:18 - 02 May 2012 06:31 #519272 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic L.E.D. Lighting?

Patton wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Jonny wrote: I know most of out bikes don't have a 'light out' warning anywhere, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Jon

My 79 KZ750 has one: it's the flasher that tells you when the brake light is blown.

As known, the brake-light-warning idiot light is supposed to remain dark while cruising along without any application of either brake.

During brake application, the idiot light is supposed to burn a steady bright red.
(This lets the world know that the idiot light bulb and its related circuitry are functional).

Here's the "warning" part:
When the rider notices the idiot light is "blinking" when supposed to be dark while cruising along without either brake applied, the "blinking" idiot light is warning the rider that "the next time brake is applied, the rear brake light ain't gonna light up."
Such warning typically results from a blown brake light filament in the rear bulb, but may also result from other deficiencies such as a bad wire, loose connector, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

Zedone wrote: ...are you saying the red panel brake light indicator (idiot light) shd light up when your brakes are normally applied, and then shut off after the brakes are released? Its been +15 years since I had my bike on the road (I can't remember). Is this for the Z1 & KZ up to 1980?....

Here's an excerpt from the FSM covering Z1~KZ900.

Am thinking -- but not positive -- that the same feature is shared on most Kawasaki motorcycle models through the 1979 models, at least on the large fours.

Where applicable, the wiring diagram for a particular year and model will show "Brake Light Failure Indicator Light" as one of the information bulbs visible to the rider.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2012 06:31 by Patton.

More
02 May 2012 16:22 #519378 by SPARKY47
Replied by SPARKY47 on topic L.E.D. Lighting?
Not just the large fours, my 500 has it. B)

1980 KZ500 B2