Bike wont turn off?

More
15 Apr 2012 22:56 #516056 by xbmxxx
Bike wont turn off? was created by xbmxxx
got my bike running for the first time this weekend. 80 kz750 twin, electronic ignition off a kz440, and a complete rewire. I started it for a few minutes on friday and then shut it off. All was fine (electrically). Today I let it idle for about 20 minutes and warm up to charge everything. When I turned the key off, the bike keeps running, the lights stay on, etc. I then unhooked and removed the battery, no change. I finally just shut off the fuel petcock and let it run out of gas.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

76 KZ750B Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2012 23:11 - 15 Apr 2012 23:13 #516063 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike wont turn off?
Most likely cause is a wiring issue at the ignition switch, especially since it is an aftermarket car switch.

My experience with those universal car switches is that they are no well made. Sometimes the switching plate inside comes loose and rotates to where it can't be turned off. Or it's possible a piece of metal is loose in there preventing shutoff.

Another possibility, that happens commonly with those switches, is the wiring posts come into contact with the wires.

You should be able to pull that main fuse (Fuse 1 on the diagram) to kill the bike.

There is also a small chance that the reg/rec wiring has a problem. If the reg/rec shorts out brown-to-white, the bike would keep running where the fuse will make no difference.

An then there is the possibility that there are just some crossed wires somewhere.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 23:13 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xbmxxx

More
16 Apr 2012 21:35 #516249 by xbmxxx
Replied by xbmxxx on topic Bike wont turn off?
alright, thanks.

The switch I used was this one

www.jegs.com/i/Flaming-River/898/FRIGN1/...rentProductId=752487

after having 2 of the autozone ones be bad straight out of the box. I was hoping the flaming river one would be better quality, perhaps I was wrong. Ill check later and see if pulling that fuse kills it.

hey, at least I know my charging system is working! haha.

76 KZ750B Twin

More
16 Apr 2012 22:49 - 16 Apr 2012 22:53 #516256 by Patton
Last edit: 16 Apr 2012 22:53 by Patton.

More
17 Apr 2012 22:13 #516397 by xbmxxx

Patton wrote: If interested:
www.z1enterprises.com/Ignition-Switch-wi...0-KZ1000-Z1-369.aspx

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4518

Good Fortune! :)

appreciate the links, but its going on this.

the car syle is about the only option I have. I may just have to add a kill toggle switch in to the 20a main wire.

76 KZ750B Twin

More
22 Apr 2012 15:18 #517341 by xbmxxx

loudhvx wrote: Most likely cause is a wiring issue at the ignition switch, especially since it is an aftermarket car switch.

My experience with those universal car switches is that they are no well made. Sometimes the switching plate inside comes loose and rotates to where it can't be turned off. Or it's possible a piece of metal is loose in there preventing shutoff.

Another possibility, that happens commonly with those switches, is the wiring posts come into contact with the wires.

You should be able to pull that main fuse (Fuse 1 on the diagram) to kill the bike.

There is also a small chance that the reg/rec wiring has a problem. If the reg/rec shorts out brown-to-white, the bike would keep running where the fuse will make no difference.

An then there is the possibility that there are just some crossed wires somewhere.

Got to messing with it some today. Pulling the main fuse doesnt shut it off either. So I guess I have a short in my reg/rec wiring?

76 KZ750B Twin

More
22 Apr 2012 15:28 #517342 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike wont turn off?
Any short that re-routes power around the fuse and switch could do it. A wiring short is more likely than the reg/rec itself being shorted in that manner.

If there are no wiring shorts, and pulling the fuse makes no difference, then it would likely be the reg/rec itself. But they usually don't fail that way.

I would remove the reg/rec, then run the bike on battery for a few seconds and see if it shuts off.

If it does, then you need to check the reg/rec wiring. If the wiring is good, then I guess time for a new reg/rec.

If you have the reg/rec hooked up, you must have the brown wire to the reg/rec in tact or it may fry the bike.