Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 14:38 #515257

• ShouterVW
  • ShouterVW's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
So I finally got my bike back together and ready to run, but as stated, no spark. I had spark, and it ran great last year. I have not touched anything electrical since. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any pointers in the right direction would be great! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 14:45 #515259

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132

ShouterVW wrote: So I finally got my bike back together and ready to run, but as stated, no spark. I had spark, and it ran great last year. I have not touched anything electrical since. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any pointers in the right direction would be great! Thanks.

how did you test it to come up with no spark?? I used a test light on the ground side of the coil and see if it pulsed as you hit the button or I have my girl hold the plugwire well.. that worked once :laugh: :laugh:
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Last edit: by ramtough_63. Reason: left out the joke

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 15:31 #515269

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Points or electronic ignition? If points, they may be stuck open or closed, if electronic ignition, check the pick up coils(usually behind a CD sized engine cover).

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup(Pulsing) coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(BEHIND A RIGHT SIDE, CD SIZED COVER) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS. The 550’s,650’s & 750’s may be backwards to the Z1’s,Kz900’s,Kz1000’s & Kz1100’s.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 15:48 #515271

• ShouterVW
  • Visitor
Sorry I was in a hurry when I posted and failed to mention the bike I have. It is a 1981 KZ650 CSR.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 21:02 #515306

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
If the coils have power, close to 12 volts at least, then some thing else in the circuit down to the points must be disconnected or set up wrong.

Here's a trouble shooting guide that has some ideas of what to check:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/rstnick/...roubleshooting-1.jpg
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 23:24 #515339

• ShouterVW
  • Visitor
Well I must have a poor connection somewhere, I put a charger on it and with it still on, the bike would run, but intermittently lose all spark, and proceed to die. I will go through all wiring for ignition and clean and replace where necessary.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 23:36 #515340

• MFolks
  • User
These older bikes are starting to show signs of crumbled solder connections inside the right and left handlebar switch pods. But do this first:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website. Or use any plastic safe electrical contact cleaner(NOT WD-40!).

On the older Kawasaki's, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach. Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal responce and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start. The older Kawasaki’s have reports of the soldered connections crumbling, if your bike has this problem, just ask, as I’ve got a repair procedure for this.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting). I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

“I spent a weekend going through every electrical connection and switch on the bike with a little scotchbrite pad and DeOxit - what a difference! Everything was brighter, gauge backlights, indicator lights, turn signals, I was getting a nicer spark, it fired up quicker, etc. Well worth my time. WELL worth it! “

From a forum member at www.kzrider.com
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 11 Apr 2012 23:39 #515342

• MFolks
  • User
If you do discover bad solder joints, here's repair procedure:

Repairing Motorcycle Soldered Connections

When repairing soldered wires on motorcycle switches or light bulbs sockets, have the following on hand:

1. A 25 Watt soldering iron or one that the wattage can be adjusted.

2. Rosin core solder.

3. Rosin flux or soldering paste (Never use solder or soldering paste designed for plumbing work, as it contains an acid that will corrode the electrical joint, ruining it).

4. 91% rubbing Alcohol, or 70%. The lower percentage Alcohol will clean up flux residue, but not as good as the higher stuff does.

5. A cut down ½” paint brush, or acid brush for scrubbing the repaired solder joint.

6. Clean rags or paper towels

7. A damp sponge to keep the soldering iron tip clean.

8. Some “Solder Wick” a braided bare copper wire designed to collect heated excess solder, aiding in joint preperation.

9. Some wooden toothpicks.

10. Small Hemostats or clip on heatsinks.

A. Before soldering, “Tin” the soldering iron tip by plugging it in or turning the iron on, allowing it to get to operating temperature(2-3 minutes).

B. Unroll about 3” of solder from the roll of rosin core solder & then using a clean rag or paper towel moistened with Alcohol, wipe the unrolled solder, removing the finger print oils that will create a poor solder joint.

C. Apply a small amount of solder to the now heated soldering iron tip, wiping the excess off with the wet sponge, keeping a thin layer on the soldering iron.

D. The soldering iron is now ready for use, but before applying the heated tip to a wire, wipe the tip on the damp sponge, this removes any oxidized solder and makes for a much better connection.

E. If the joint to be repaired is grey in color or appears “Crumbled”, apply some rosin soldering paste or flux to the joint with a small toothpick of screwdriver, and then apply the soldering iron tip for a few seconds.

G. The fluxed joint should clean up, allowing for a better connection. If no luck, use the solder wick to remove all traces of the old solder by apply in it between the soldering iron tip and the bad joint.

H. Hemostats and clip on heatsinks will be used to prevent the wire insulation from burning, overheating & pulling away from the connection.

I. Apply a small amount of flux to the joint to be repaired & then a very small duration of heated soldering iron tip & solder.

J. Clean off the repaired joint with the brush & rubbing Alcohol, the newly repaired joint should appear clean and bright, almost as if it were polished, with no voids or holes.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 12 Apr 2012 08:41 #515383

• ShouterVW
  • Visitor
Wow thank you for the detailed replies! I have electrical contact cleaner, I am going to do that tonight.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 12 Apr 2012 10:41 #515405

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
If you have 12Vdc to coils (battery power) then really a few places for no spark to plugs...

1) Engine ideally grounded...?

2) Ignition components stock IC igniter or Dyna style electronic ignition...?
If dyna for example, perform static test insuring pickups are operating thus signal to coils.

If needed... OEM Service Manual... KZ650 Service Manual

Follow manual for testing stock coils & IC Igniter.

3) Plug wires: Coils to plug wires to sparkies to spec...?

4) Handle bar kill switch deactivated?
I realize you stated you had power to coils but unknown if using coil mod (:pinch:) bypass...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 12 Apr 2012 11:18 #515413

• jeffecor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I had a problem with no spark on one side of the bike.. it turned out one of the wires was bad going inside the Igniter box..
1980 Kawasaki 750 h1 ltd

Help, power to coils, but no spark. 12 Apr 2012 11:27 #515416

• ShouterVW
  • Visitor
As stated before, I got it running, but only with the charger on it, and then it was intermittent, like a bad connection somewhere? I am guessing there is corrosion on some terminals causing resistance somewhere...but thats just a guess.