Phase 1 stator and dayna s electronic ignition

More
11 Apr 2012 13:36 #515244 by SCHWACKS
I've read how in some cases the stator with only the two yellow wires isn't enough power to keep up with the dayna s electronic ignition. My 79 kz650 had points, I now have the dayna s installed. I'm having charging problems. I read a similar situation a guy had. He went back to points and his bike was charging fine. So my question is... Does it screw up the stator, by it trying to keep up withe power the dayna s is putting out? Or if I simply put back on the points, charge the battery with a charger. Then run the bike. My stator and reg/rec will still be in good shape? Or has anyone heard of the single phase stator being able to work with the electronic ignition. Id hate to go back to points! Maybe just my stator is bad, and with a new one I'll be fine! I have a new battery, new reg/rec combo unit. All wiring is new and fresh! Any help on this would be great! Thank you, Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2012 13:37 #515245 by SCHWACKS
Replied by SCHWACKS on topic Phase 1 stator and dayna s electronic ignition
I have the 2 phase stator. Sorry.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
11 Apr 2012 14:01 #515250 by gd4now
If yours has 2 yellow wires it is a single phase system. There were 3 basic types of systems that came stock on the kz650s

The early (77) 3 phase excited field system
The single phase permanent magnet system
The 3 phase permanent magnet system

I have attached a table showing the different systems which came on which models, years and the part# used in the systems.

There has been much debate on if the single phase systems are up to the task with the dyna s systems. I have read many posts where posters have no issue and many where they do. There is no doubt that the dyna s systems does increase the load on the electrical system over the stock systems. But I am not sure if it is enough to create all of the issues or not. I do know some have gone to the electronic ign system used on the later 650s and 750s which does not add to the load on the system.

I would suggest to run all of the tests noted in the FSM on the charging system and see if you have any issues with it.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2012 14:45 #515258 by SCHWACKS
Replied by SCHWACKS on topic Phase 1 stator and dayna s electronic ignition
Thank you for getting me straight., and for the table. I have the manual so I will perform the testing to all components. I'm hoping I just have a bad stator, for it is the only part of my charging system that isn't brand new. I new stator is pretty pricey! I just hate to but one, and it not fix my charging problem!

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
11 Apr 2012 15:10 #515265 by gd4now

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT