Dyna S ignition system thoughts

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2012 19:06 #515092 by BizzareCustoms
Dyna S ignition system thoughts was created by BizzareCustoms
hey my coils took a dump on me and i was going to replace them with some dyna units and was contimplating swapping out the points for the dyna s setup but was curious if anyone is using it and what their thoughts are on it. would be nice to not have to worry about and adjust points any more. my bike is a 78' kz650 btw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 19:23 #515096 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts
Dyna S is better than points, but inferrior to Kawasaki electronic ignition.

Also, on a 78 KZ650, there will be a good chance of having carging issues because the Dyna S wastes a lot of power as heat.

Search Dyna S and kz650 single phase.
There are many threads on single-phase KZ650 charging systems failing to kee up with the demands of the Dyna S, leaving batteries dead.

The solution, in just about every case, was to upgrade to a 3-phase charging system, or get rid of the Dyna S.

Dyna S would require 3 ohm coils or higher, while the Kawasaki system ideally requires 2.3 ohm coils (Dyna sells 2.2 ohm which are just right).

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
10 Apr 2012 19:23 #515097 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts
I have no problems with it . Using Dyna green coils . This is on a high power 1000
I would buy it again.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2012 21:34 #515120 by BizzareCustoms
Replied by BizzareCustoms on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts
was planning on running the Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 along with two Dyna Dual Output 3.0 Ohm green Coils and a set of the Dyna 7mm copper core wires.
I should also mention that the only other power consumers I have on my bike is a 100w head light, a stop ligt, and led tag lights. I have removed all other lights, horns, ect. (feel free to check out my project build)

More
10 Apr 2012 23:50 #515151 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts
Lou knows his phases. I'm not sure what phase charge system the 78 650 has vs the 77. I ran a Dyna 3 on a 1978 KZ650 for 160,000 miles and a DynaS on a 1977 KZ650 with a 1978 charge system for 45,000 miles and never had a hint of a charge problem. I use stock coils, yes 160,000 miles on stock coils with no problems. Also have another 77 with DynaS and Dyna green coils. Motorcycle has only 24,000 miles on it and I bought it the way it is. It has no charge problems either. I think you're safe to trash the points. I trashed mine back in 1979. Some guys love points, I'd rather be shot than ever see another set of them damn things.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
11 Apr 2012 00:04 #515154 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts
If you use the Dyna S system, do not use the supplied splice to power the Dyna, as it is not a good electrical connection. You're much better of soldering the joint & then cover it with heatshrink tubing.

This type of spice is called a "suitcase splice" as it resembles a closed suitcase, but if the joint gets wet, corrosion will quickly set in, making for intermittent/sporadic operation.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Apr 2012 14:11 #515251 by loudhvx
I realize I sounded a little more negative in my previous post than I meant to.

There are certainly many 78 and 79 KZ650's with working Dyna S ignitions that are not experiencing charging issues, even though they are 1-phase. (The 77 KZ650 has a 3-phase, excited field charging system.)

I should have said, of the bikes that experience charging system problems after installing a Dyna S, most of them are 78 and 79 KZ 650's with stock charging systems. I suspect that those years had some charging systems that had slightly less extra capacity. They worked fine for stock ignitions, but the Dyna S used up the extra capacity, exposing the limits of the charging system.

There are several solutions. Probably the best, but most expensive is to convert to an aftermarket 3-phase stator and regulator/rectifier. That's around $200. Or you can get a later 3-phase 650 or 750-4 stator and reg/rec. That may be around $100 or less, used.

And there is a good chance that it will work fine.

The 550's, 900's, 1000's that use Dyna S ignitions don't seem to suffer from this problem.

More
11 Apr 2012 15:08 #515264 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2012 17:46 #515280 by BizzareCustoms

MFolks wrote: If you use the Dyna S system, do not use the supplied splice to power the Dyna, as it is not a good electrical connection. You're much better of soldering the joint & then cover it with heatshrink tubing.

This type of spice is called a "suitcase splice" as it resembles a closed suitcase, but if the joint gets wet, corrosion will quickly set in, making for intermittent/sporadic operation.

i know the type of splice pack you are talking about and agree with you. i solder and heatshrink all my connections

• BizzareCustoms
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Apr 2012 17:56 #515283 by BizzareCustoms
i guess ill wait untill i have the money to do the dyna s system. worse comes to worse i take it off, sell it, and put stock rated coil packs. Maybe ill set up a temporary voltage and amperage gauge set up for a couple of rides to verify that the charging system is able to keep up. ill update when the time comes and maybe do an install thread.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:54 #515611 by Bear2123
Replied by Bear2123 on topic Dyna S ignition system thoughts

loudhvx wrote: I realize I sounded a little more negative in my previous post than I meant to.

There are certainly many 78 and 79 KZ650's with working Dyna S ignitions that are not experiencing charging issues, even though they are 1-phase. (The 77 KZ650 has a 3-phase, excited field charging system.)

I should have said, of the bikes that experience charging system problems after installing a Dyna S, most of them are 78 and 79 KZ 650's with stock charging systems. I suspect that those years had some charging systems that had slightly less extra capacity. They worked fine for stock ignitions, but the Dyna S used up the extra capacity, exposing the limits of the charging system.

There are several solutions. Probably the best, but most expensive is to convert to an aftermarket 3-phase stator and regulator/rectifier. That's around $200. Or you can get a later 3-phase 650 or 750-4 stator and reg/rec. That may be around $100 or less, used.

And there is a good chance that it will work fine.

The 550's, 900's, 1000's that use Dyna S ignitions don't seem to suffer from this problem.

Just upgraded the Grandsoon's '79 KZ650C3 with an '81 KZ750E stator, rotor and reg/rec. Works great, bought all 3 off e-Bay for under $70 shipped. Bike was purchased witht he Dyna S ignition and 3 ohm coils. Bike would never charge the battery and would stopp running in around 2 hours when the batter didn't have enough power for the headlamp, running lights, brake light and ignition. Easy change out/parts swap. Only one "extra" wire to hook into the '79 wiring system. Changeover only too a couple hours. Now the bike is reliable and the battery stays charged.

More
14 Apr 2012 13:47 #515773 by loudhvx
Thanks, nice job Bear!