Undoing Vetter fairing wiring: 80 KZ440B1

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
10 Apr 2012 15:15 #515054 by mwriders
I've started through the rats nest of wiring in my headlight bucket while I wait for other things to happen. Story is that this bike came with what looks to me like the mounts for a Vetter Windjammer fairing. The fairing itself was, I'm guessing, lost to crash damage and no, I don't miss it.

Anyway, there is a whole lot of spliced and rerouted wiring in there that would have gone along with the Vetter headlight/turn signals. I can figure most of it out from the service manual wiring diagram and I have the old Vetter instructions that sort of helps identify the extra stuff, at least where the PO used the Vetter color codes.

My question, for anyone who knows these things, involves the blue box connectors that are in there. Are those just clamped over the stock wires to allow a splice? I still have things like the OEM headlight ground wire with it's bullet connector hanging loose from one of those boxes and it looks like I could just plug it back into where it is supposed to be IF it hasn't been ruined by the blue box.

Is there a way to remove those boxes without destroying the wire? Or, is the wire already destroyed just by being clamped into the box? If I have to cut the wire downstream of the box, I won't have much left and will have to acquire new connectors and fabricate wiring. Should I just do that anyway, or should I try to save what I can?

I did once take a Hannigan off of a BMW and got it to work, but I remember it being no fun at all.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 18:57 #515089 by johnbgood
Replied by johnbgood on topic Undoing Vetter fairing wiring: 80 KZ440B1
Cut the plastic away with small side cutters (one side folds over and catches to stay closed). Pull the piece of metal that is cutting through the wire insulation away from the wire (may have to spread it tp keep from damaging the wire). Wire should still be good (look for any cut strands) tape up with quality electrical tape (Scotch 33). Good to go.

Been my experience. Seen lots of this type of splice for trailer lights.

Johnbgood

KZ1000P 1991

More
10 Apr 2012 19:09 #515093 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Undoing Vetter fairing wiring: 80 KZ440B1
This type of splice is good in dry conditions, but add moisture to the mix, and you've got corrosion, making circuits intermittent & unreliable.

If you must splice wires,try to use the ones made by 3M(available at most auto supply stores as they are the type you crimp & then shrink down with a heat gun).

(Solder Heatshrink Terminal Installation)

(Ultimate Performance Heatshrink Terminal)

(Solder Splice)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
11 Apr 2012 12:57 #515238 by mwriders
Replied by mwriders on topic Undoing Vetter fairing wiring: 80 KZ440B1
Well, it turned out to be kind of a dumb question, since a couple of beers and a small screwdriver sorted the whole thing out. But I honestly had never seen those types of connectors before. I guess it's been a while since I played with wiring.

Anyway, I got the Vetter related wires out of there, found and bundled the turn signal wires for future use. The little blue boxes had pretty much trashed whatever they touched. The guillotine things had cut not only the wire casings but a couple of wire strands. That can be fixed with a new headlight socket. The headlight ground connection had been altered for the three wires that connect on the bike side (see diagram) by converting them from male to female connectors, I suppose for Vetter purposes. They did that by just stuffing the male end into the wrong end of a female connector and I think that one can be saved. The other will need a new male connector.

BUT, that's not my question. When everything is sorted out, I end up with three (!) leftover lines: A two prong brown/gold, a double brown female and a browwn-white/blue female combo. These seem to show up in the wiring diagram (if I'm reading it correctly) and are marked in the diagram.

So, the question is: What the hell are those about? Just recycled wiring harness from some other model? For future use with accessories? Am I just reading the diagram wrong? Any idea?

Since the bike did run and all of the accessories functioned with these things just dangling, I'm not too concerned. But I am curious.

Thanks.

1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1965 Suzuki 80

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
11 Apr 2012 12:58 - 11 Apr 2012 13:03 #515240 by mwriders
Replied by mwriders on topic Undoing Vetter fairing wiring: 80 KZ440B1

Whoops. Here's the wiring diagram.

1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1965 Suzuki 80
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2012 13:03 by mwriders. Reason: screwed up attachment