Coil Issue (wanting to make sure this may help)

More
08 Apr 2012 04:35 #514654 by nate82kz650
Ok so I'm trying to get my bike to start for the first time. The left coil wasn't sending spark to the plugs. If I switched it to the right side it would then work and the original right side coil wouldn't work on the left side. I just did the WG coil mod. I won't get to try and start it until the morning but does this seem like i'm on the right track and if not, where should i start looking?

1982 KZ650 CSR. Stock everything as far as I know but not for long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 05:29 #514656 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Coil Issue (wanting to make sure this may help)
2 possibilities come to mind. When you reinstalled the coils, the left one has now got a ground to the frame where the ignition wire terminal is extremely close to the mounting post for the coil. I put heat shrink tubing around the spacer to prevent that. There was a great photo of that on here just a couple of days ago.
The other is you have a poor connection somewhere and the left coil is not getting power from the relay.

If you have a meter, verify the voltage at the coils with your ignition and your RUN switch on. Make double dang sure that terminal isn't shorting to the mounting post, that is a real problem on these bikes since they are so close together.

Oh, and put some info about your bike in your signature. That way we know where you're coming from. Like, 82 kz650 with Dyna coils, turbocharged, fire breathing monster or something like that.

More
08 Apr 2012 05:38 #514657 by nate82kz650
Replied by nate82kz650 on topic Coil Issue (wanting to make sure this may help)
Will do. I'm attempting to start it in thr morning. Praying it works lol. As for the signature, i'll get right on that.

More
08 Apr 2012 14:49 #514718 by nate82kz650
Well i've had to do something wrong. Wired up the WG relay and now I don't have spark from either coil.

More
08 Apr 2012 14:51 #514720 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coil Issue (wanting to make sure this may help)

nate82kz650 wrote: Well i've had to do something wrong. Wired up the WG relay and now I don't have spark from either coil.

Try restoring stock connections.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Apr 2012 15:02 - 08 Apr 2012 15:59 #514722 by nate82kz650
Just did and now I have spark from only one coil. I have a spare one so i'm going to install it and see what happens.

Update:
Hooked up a new coil and that didn't work either. I dont have a multimeter or test light at the moment. Could I run a wire directly to a power source and connect it to the hotside of the coil bypassing any electrical issues inside the harness? That would at least tell me if its power or the signal wire causing the issue?

Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 15:59 by nate82kz650.

More
08 Apr 2012 17:51 #514738 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Coil Issue (wanting to make sure this may help)
Yes, that's basically what the WG mod does but it puts a relay in the middle so your kill switch still works. If you did the mod like WG specs out, there should be a fuse between the relay and the battery, is that blown?
Do you have stock ignition?
From what I've read:
The left coil did not fire the plugs.
You swapped the coils.
The problem stayed on the left side.
It's not the coils.
Did the WG mod, no spark.
Undid the WG mod, back to square one.
Try swapping the power connections to the coils.
Does the problem follow the power wires? If it does, then that's your problem. A disconnect somewhere in the wire that originally went to the left coil?
No, the problem stays on the left side? Put the power wires back to their proper place and swap the ignition wires.
Does the problem follow the ignition wires? If it does, then the problem is in that direction. Either the harness or the ignition itself.
A cheap meter or even cheaper test light would save you a lot of trouble!

More
09 Apr 2012 11:54 #514832 by nate82kz650
Well i'm totally unsure what I did but I now officially have spark on all 4 cylinders. I assume something harness wise because all i did was wiggle the harness around to test moving the wires from coil to coil. Now to make a permanent fix.

More
09 Apr 2012 14:57 #514853 by MFolks
You may have a partially broken conductor inside the insulation of a wire. These are sometimes difficult to locate, but look anywhere the wire bundle flexes(usually near the steering head)and where it goes up inside the headlight housing.

Some of the older Kawasaki's have had failed/crumbling solder joints at the left and right handlebar switch pods. I'd open up your's and do an inspection. If you see grey or pitted solder joints, I've got a repair procedure written up, just ask.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)