How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?

More
04 Apr 2012 23:45 #514114 by mac0239
Ok, bit lazy here and hoping someone reads this and has the answer.
I did a quick search and nothing came up specific to my question.
I know I can get testers out and spend a couple hours trying to solve this myself but I'm willing to bet someone else already posted this or went through the work already to solve the question.
So I am planning on buying a heated jacket for cool riding (which is most of time where I live).
Heard these old Zd'ers may or may not make enough juice to charge battery and supply the amps to the coat. Anyone know what a KZ1000 stator puts out for juice? (79 KZ1000E to be specific).
Anyone out there using heated gear on similar bike? Any issues? Any coats/vest to avoid or ones to recommend based on power demands? What about heated grips?
Love to hear the good and bad of running this on my bike.
I am basically the only one of all my riding buds that hasn't jumped on the Heated gear bandwagon but they all drive newer bikes that have no power issues making the extra juice.
I am the only one driving the antique. ha ha

thanks in advance for your tips.
cheers,

steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Apr 2012 09:45 #514159 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
Your service manual will tell the Rated output, in AMPs. I tested a couple, 1 single phase from a 80 550, and a 3 phase from an 82 1000. The 550 single phase was 18 AMP, while the 3 phase was 20 AMP. This was right at what the factory had rated them, but I got the Max output at much less RPM than what the manual stated. That's because both of these are permanent magnet systems, which make full power all the time, and shunt the extra back to ground through the R/R.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Apr 2012 09:50 #514162 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
the manual says 20 amps

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 May 2012 20:26 #520301 by dlarnold
Replied by dlarnold on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
So seems we have similar questions. I also am in Alberta (Olds). I am a teacher so not too handy. 20 amps enough for heated gear? I would love to buy you a few pints and pick your brain some time. dlarnold48@gmail.com

David

More
06 May 2012 22:18 #520353 by MFolks
If you can replace the standard bulbs with LED's, the wattage load on the bikes charging system should be able to handle heated grips and possibly a heated vest.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 May 2012 23:45 #520874 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
Buying an oldie like ours is like signing up for courses on motorcycle mechanics.
I know so little in comparison to many but I know a shitload more now than I did a year ago.
I'd go broke paying shops to fix everything and solve every problem so have been doing a ton of reading, research and using forums like this to learn how to do stuff on my own to not only save cash but be able to ride more with peace of mind knowing what's working...and what isn't.
Real shop manual was a huge help too.
I will likely do a ride out "Olds" way this summer so will tip you off and can meet for a beer to swap any tips we may have collected along the way. I know I will be learning non-stop for years to come.
All that being said my bike is really coming around and so far my stator is powering my heated jacket no problem. I got same great advice from a friend as MFolks said about swapping to Led's. Guy could save 50-100 watts on bike probably. which is what jacket draws.
Will go this way if I start to have issues with battery getting too low.
I do often plug in my battery tender junior and leave it on to ensure battery is topped up as well.

cheers,

steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
09 May 2012 00:40 #520898 by MFolks
www.electrosport.com sells(I believe) a higher output stator(the wire windings)so at low rpm's, the batery will be charged better. If you go this route,consider getting their higher output regulator/rectifier.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
09 May 2012 01:44 #520907 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
Yes, stock system seems weak. Make sure all of your connections are clean and tight.
LED trick will help free up some needed reserve amperage/watts for the heated gear. If the factory stator puts out 20A at 14v, does that equate to 280w?

I'd go with a vest instead of the full jacket liner. The Tourmaster Synergy vest gets good reviews, and supposedly only uses 52w. Get the one with the collar if you ride in extreeeeme cold.
Or you can go with a rechargeable vest and get heated gloves instead of grips.
I went with a Widder heated vest and it rocks in 30 and below temps. Not riding the KZ, I was riding the KLR, which is rated at 14A output.
MFolks, do you know any one that has installed the aftermarket stator/rr system on their KZ1000?

Or, you could always go with the ultra trick external alternator conversion them Germans do... :whistle:

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
09 May 2012 02:29 #520915 by steell
Volts * Amps = Watts

14 * 20 = 280

KD9JUR

More
09 May 2012 13:56 #521008 by MFolks
Personally, I do not know of anybody installing the increased output stator & rectifier/regulator, but since Electrosport offers it, I'd imagine more than a few riders have it installed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 May 2012 23:26 #521388 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?

MFolks wrote: Personally, I do not know of anybody installing the increased output stator & rectifier/regulator, but since Electrosport offers it, I'd imagine more than a few riders have it installed.

10-4. I was wrong about the KLR output, I thinks it's closer to 10A. :(

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
17 May 2012 23:15 #523016 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic How much juice does a KZ1000 Stator put out?
I just recieved my brand new elctrosport stator in the mail today. i will install it and check it out and let you guys know how well it works.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now