Help with Headlight Problems (1980 KZ750-H1)

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
28 Mar 2012 01:32 #512443 by Kawasaki_Mike
Help with Headlight Problems (1980 KZ750-H1) was created by Kawasaki_Mike
I just pulled my bike out from winter storage and noticed that my headlamp isn't working. Now I just got my license at the end of last season so I never drove it in the dark so I'm not sure if it was working last season or not either. Anyways, I pulled it off and checked the wires and it didn't seem like anything was loose, and all the other lights work fine, signal,stop,etc. I thought maybe it was connected wrong but I am assuming that the same color wires on the light connect to the same color ones where the wiring is inside the bike? There are 3 color coded wires attached to the lamp. Also when I took the bezel and everything apart and looked at the bulb itself it doesn't seem to be broken inside or anything but I don't know for sure and don't know exactly what to look for. I can post some pictures tomorrow if that will help? Any way to find out if the bulb is working or not? Also how I do check if there is power going to wire inside the bike? And one final question how the heck do I get into the fusebox to check the fuses? There is like a little rubber stopper thing on the corner but the way the box is wedged in I can't figure out how to get it out to open it? Is there a separate fuse specifically for the headlamp because everything else seems to be working? Thanks for any help and sorry for the basic questions but I'm far from mechanically inclined especially with electrical. If anyone thinks some pictures will help I can post some of the wires tommorrow but they are probably pretty standard. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2012 09:50 - 21 Feb 2013 15:31 #512477 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
Headlight fuse = yes
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 15:31 by martin_csr.

More
28 Mar 2012 13:55 #512537 by MFolks
Color Codes On Most Kawasaki’s (written for 1980’s bikes)

On these bikes, Kawasaki had what is called a "Reserve Lighting System", an electronic device designed to operate either of the light beams(high or low) if one burned out. High beam would come on at a reduced voltage so on coming drivers would not be blinded.

The device has a 6 wire plug, usually behind a body side cover, sometimes just below the seat area. Your bike's system may have failed.

HEADLIGHT
RED with BLACK stripe, High Beam.
RED with YELLOW stripe, Low Beam.
BLACK with YELLOW stripe, the ground circuit.

I'd check with a meter on the three prong headlight connector & then go toward the high/low beam switch, Also inspect both handlebar switches for crumbled/failed solder joints,as the older Kawasaki's are starting to experiance this. If you need repair instructions, just ask....

BRAKE/TAIL LIGHT Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
RED, Running or Tail Light.
BLUE,(sometimes with a Red stripe) Brake Light Circuit.

LEFT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1157 dual filament bulb
GREEN, Left front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Left front running light circuit.

RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL Can be an # 1157 dual filament bulb
GREY, Right front turn signal circuit.
BLUE, Right front running light circuit.

LEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREEN, Left rear turn signal circuit.

RIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL Can be an #1156 single filament bulb
GREY, Right rear turn signal circuit.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
28 Mar 2012 14:55 #512548 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic Help with Headlight Problems (1980 KZ750-H1)
Thanks very much to both of you guys for replying, it's much appreciated. I'm goIng to start troubleshooting again. When I get home from work tonight. All this info will be very helpful. Will let you know how I make out.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
29 Mar 2012 00:02 #512670 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic Help with Headlight Problems (1980 KZ750-H1)
So today while I was at work the girlfriend picked me up a new bulb and assembled the whole headlamp again for me, then went and got her nails done. Gotta love a girl like that.lol So I know its not the bulb now so the next thing I am going to check tomorrow is the fuses and hopefully that will be the problem, if not on to the next step.

More
29 Mar 2012 00:14 #512672 by MFolks
The wiring on these older bikes has seen a lot of repeated flexing, so, it's not uncommon to discover a break in the conductor of wires, especially where they have flexed, usually in the area of the steering head. It's odd though, that neither high or low beam work.

I'd replace the fuses, and then start finding out where voltage is and isn't using a multimeter.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
29 Mar 2012 00:48 #512676 by Patton
Here's link to download a color wiring diagram from KZr's FILEBASE:

Click > www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/293-kz750h1

Or may go to FILEBASE and navigate to the year and model.

Attachment filebasekzr.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2012 01:18 #512683 by nobody
test light
multimeter????????????????????????

More
29 Mar 2012 01:30 #512684 by MFolks
If it were me, I'd go to the nearest Radio Shack store and see what multimeter's they've got. The meters come in two types; Analog(with the moving needle and multiple scales) and Digital(the kind with number read outs).

A self powered test light usually has a battery for a power source, it's used for simple electrical continuity checks, like seeing if fuses are good out of the fuse clips, or switches work.

Most good electronic stores sell multimeters too, just ask for a simple demonstration before buying one.

If using a multimeter is like "Black Magic", many forum members here can walk you through the operation.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2