79 KZ1000 Shaft - ignition problems

More
30 Mar 2012 16:12 #513046 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 79 KZ1000 Shaft - ignition problems
I may have mentioned this before, but the older Kawasaki's have had reports of the soldered connections crumbling over time in the handlebar switch pods. I'd open up your bike's pods & do an inspection of the soldered joints. If you need instructions on how to repair these connections, I've got a procedure written up, just ask.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ultrastar87
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1979 KZ1000 Shaft
More
02 Apr 2012 00:55 #513509 by Ultrastar87
Replied by Ultrastar87 on topic 79 KZ1000 Shaft - ignition problems
Thanks for all the info MFolks,
I Will be running a cable rundown through my bike
As it is right now, I decided to send the bike to a shop since there is a high suspicion that there is more than just the battery drainage... finding out every kink on the bike on my own may cost me more than a shop (i live at an apartment, not many tools, im no mechanic buff either, though I do want to learn). there is suspicion the intake has issues on the low revs...

But yeah, will do the cables on my own, and will give update once these people call

Full throttle, whenever, wherever, to the very end

• Ultrastar87
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1979 KZ1000 Shaft
More
05 Apr 2012 00:52 #514122 by Ultrastar87
Small update:
sigh, trying to ride my KZ properly has turned into some magic quest.
I decided to pull the bike out of the place I had it, after 4 days they hadn't even checked when they said they would. Not blaming them but I didnt even know that they could even fix my bike.
Thanks to @KZJOE900. In another section of the forums he directed me to Allen Bernard (bernard, not berger) who works at Santiago Choppers. I checked their site, but they focus more on building bikes. I called anyways, and he said he even had an alternator regulator in stock, so Ive opted to go there.
Problem now is that I have to wait until tuesday until he is available... so until then.
The only concern now is how much this is going to cost me... that shop sells choppers for 20k and upwards.

quick note: Apparently the shop had been showcased on tv in a show called Cafe Racer on the discovery network, I havent seen it though

• Ultrastar87
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1979 KZ1000 Shaft
More
10 Apr 2012 14:22 #515033 by Ultrastar87
Ok...
took the bike to Santiago Choppers... Allen Bernard has quite a collection of old kawasakis.
he tested and then replaced the regulator.
I rode it out, and it felt slightly smoother, but im not sure if that's cause of the heat or other factors...

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help.
With this I think my electrical issues should come to an end unless the battery starts draining once again.

Now... I have to deal with the issue of my gas emptying while I let it sit..
There is oil leaking from the front.. etc etc etc.

More
10 Apr 2012 19:03 #515091 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 79 KZ1000 Shaft - ignition problems
I'd drain the gas tank,take the petcock off the tank, and inspect the petcock for torn/ripped rubber gaskets. The Ethanol in gasoline is very nasty toward rubber pieces:

Ethanol In Gasoline Problems

Certain materials commonly used with gasoline may be incompatible with high-level ethanol blends, causing them to degrade and contaminate the fuel. Metals that have been shown to degrade over time in the presence of high-level alcohol blends include brass,(floats & jets) lead, zinc(carb bodies) and lead-based solder.

Nonmetallic materials that degrade when in contact with ethanol include natural rubber, polyurethane, cork gasket material, leather, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) polyamides, and certain thermoplastic or thermoset polymers.

On the other hand, unplated steel, nickel-plated steel, stainless steel, black iron and bronze have shown resistance to ethanol corrosion, with nonmetallic materials like reinforced fiberglass, Buna-N, Neoprene rubber, polypropylene, nitrile rubber, Viton and Teflon meeting acceptable usage standards with E85.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)