80 750 twin no spark

More
20 Mar 2012 23:44 #510957 by xbmxxx
80 750 twin no spark was created by xbmxxx
someone before me converted it to a later style electronic ignition.

I wired it as per the awesome diagram loudhvx made me in the bare bones thread.

Not getting any spark out of the coil. When I test the coil, I have a good 12v with the yellow/red wire. yel/blu has continuity to ground when key is in the on position, but becomes open when cranked.

Is the ignitor not working correctly? I may be completely wrong here, but I would assume that the ground continuity should be switching off on off on when cranked, and it should spark at each point of continuity?

Bad coil? or possibly something else in the ignition?

76 KZ750B Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2012 00:50 - 21 Mar 2012 01:01 #510975 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 80 750 twin no spark

xbmxxx wrote: ...would assume that the ground continuity should be switching off on off on when cranked, and it should spark at each point of continuity?....

Interruption of the coil primary winding's ground connection is the event that causes a charged coil to fire though the secondary loop.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2012 01:01 by Patton.

More
21 Mar 2012 17:45 #511084 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 80 750 twin no spark
If it has Kawasaki electronic ignition, then the igniter should not ground the coil unless the motor is turning over, so either the wiring is messed up or the igniter is bad.

KD9JUR

More
21 Mar 2012 20:56 #511109 by xbmxxx
Replied by xbmxxx on topic 80 750 twin no spark

steell wrote: If it has Kawasaki electronic ignition, then the igniter should not ground the coil unless the motor is turning over, so either the wiring is messed up or the igniter is bad.

that's pretty much the exact opposite of what its doing. Looks like i'll be hitting the scrapyard for a new ignitor this weekend.

76 KZ750B Twin

More
22 Mar 2012 04:00 #511195 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 80 750 twin no spark

xbmxxx wrote:

steell wrote: If it has Kawasaki electronic ignition, then the igniter should not ground the coil unless the motor is turning over, so either the wiring is messed up or the igniter is bad.

that's pretty much the exact opposite of what its doing. Looks like i'll be hitting the scrapyard for a new ignitor this weekend.

Are you sure it's the kawasaki ignition?
Some aftermarket ignitions work that way... ie, ground the coil most of the time, then un-ground it periodically when the motor is cranked over.

If you can't find an igniter, you can try the HEI version in my signature.

More
22 Mar 2012 21:13 #511330 by xbmxxx

loudhvx wrote:

xbmxxx wrote:

Are you sure it's the kawasaki ignition?
Some aftermarket ignitions work that way... ie, ground the coil most of the time, then un-ground it periodically when the motor is cranked over.

If you can't find an igniter, you can try the HEI version in my signature.

It looks factory. The part number is SH347.

76 KZ750B Twin

More
23 Mar 2012 11:30 #511452 by loudhvx
Ok, just making sure.

The twin igniters are just a black box, whereas the inline-four igniters have fins.

More
24 Mar 2012 16:33 #511692 by xbmxxx
Yep, Little black box. Had the coil tested today, it tested good. Replaced the ignitor with a known good one.

Still no spark.

I went through the wiring test per kz400.com. All the tests were a pass except one.

it all passed except for 5. and 6.

Any idea what would cause that?

76 KZ750B Twin

More
25 Mar 2012 04:51 #511818 by loudhvx
Tests 5 and 6 measure the voltage on the pickup wires (one blue wire and black wire).

What voltage do you get on each of the pickup wires?

Also, if you disconnect the pickup wires at the igniter, then measure the resistance of the pickup, what do you get?

More
25 Mar 2012 18:13 #511929 by xbmxxx
I got 0 volts on both. But they passed the resistance year per the manual specs. Can't remember the numbers now though

76 KZ750B Twin

More
25 Mar 2012 21:32 #511974 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 80 750 twin no spark
If not already done, would assure the black/yellow wire from the igniter is providing a good connection to ground.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Mar 2012 22:03 #511980 by loudhvx
Since it sounds like the pickup wires are being grounded somehow, do they show any continuity to ground when they are disconnected from the igniter?