I bypassed the main fuse.. big mistake. Help!

More
21 Mar 2012 17:28 #511077 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic I bypassed the main fuse.. big mistake. Help!

650ed wrote: :unsure: You should never try to start the bike while hooked to a charger or a running vehicle because it will fry the electrical system. Assuming the battery is not completely cooked, disconnect it from the bike, charge it on a LOW amperage (no more than 2 amps) battery charger, then install the battery in the bike and test all the electrical circuits. When the circuits have been checked and any problems corrected – then try starting the bike.

Have jumped started bikes close to a hundred times,never had any electrical systems fry.When on the side of the road there is no way to charge the battery except jumping it,from a running vehicle,Yes cars will work as long as the bike is a 12 volt system.
Or maybe I just have extraordinary luck :woohoo:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2012 21:23 #511115 by 650ed

ezrider714 wrote:

650ed wrote: :unsure: You should never try to start the bike while hooked to a charger or a running vehicle because it will fry the electrical system. Assuming the battery is not completely cooked, disconnect it from the bike, charge it on a LOW amperage (no more than 2 amps) battery charger, then install the battery in the bike and test all the electrical circuits. When the circuits have been checked and any problems corrected – then try starting the bike.

Have jumped started bikes close to a hundred times,never had any electrical systems fry.When on the side of the road there is no way to charge the battery except jumping it,from a running vehicle,Yes cars will work as long as the bike is a 12 volt system.
Or maybe I just have extraordinary luck :woohoo:

Then keep on doing it, nothing bad will happen to your electrical system. And yet, it does seem odd that if you electrical system works so well why have you needed to jump it "close to a hundred times"? :blink: As far as your statement: "When on the side of the road there is no way to charge the battery except jumping it,from a running vehicle" are you saying the car or truck you're jumping from doesn't have an ignition key that can shut off the engine? Seems like that should be pretty standard equipment. For the rest of us I still recommend not jumping from a running vehicle - it is a risk that is absolutely not necessary when all you need to do is shut off the engine of the car or truck - starting a bike from a car battery is not going to drain the car battery.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
21 Mar 2012 21:55 #511122 by gd4now
+++ ED

It is not the voltage that is the issue - 12 volts is 12 volts, but it is the amps that create the problem. Just think about the amps that a car/truck alt creates and then compare that the the amps the bike is expecting its system to generate. The battery, wiring, switches ect on the bike are not intended for the large current created by the car/truck alt.

I am not saying you can not get away with it, but as Ed says there is no need to do so. Just do it from a non running car/truck.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
22 Mar 2012 00:07 #511164 by nitrochristian
Replied by nitrochristian on topic I bypassed the main fuse.. big mistake. Help!
Everybody has excellent ideas, just want to add one you have stated several times melted wires. well concidering all the time you have already spent try this unhook power supply and search wire harness for all melted wires you may have been close to fixing the issue but one leftover bad wire will cause another one to fry. kinda like chasing your tail.

78 KZ650
96 Ford Bronco

More
22 Mar 2012 00:34 #511174 by davem

nitrochristian wrote: Everybody has excellent ideas, just want to add one you have stated several times melted wires. well concidering all the time you have already spent try this unhook power supply and search wire harness for all melted wires you may have been close to fixing the issue but one leftover bad wire will cause another one to fry. kinda like chasing your tail.

Thanks... I followed every wire in the main harness.

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD
1997 Kawasaki police 1000
1985 kz1000p4 project-sold

More
23 Mar 2012 19:16 #511529 by davem
I replaced the stator and that solved my problem.

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD

More
27 Mar 2012 17:40 #512351 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic I bypassed the main fuse.. big mistake. Help!
Never said Jumped the same bike 100 times, many of them weren't even my bikes, in 30 plus years of riding, and not just around the block, things happen on the road.Vehicle running or not,really doesn't matter. As someone else stated 12 volts is 12 volts,and coming right off the battery the amps are being regulated.
Never been one for pushing a bike if I don't have to.
Have had mine since 79 and nary a melted wire yet. :dry:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
27 Mar 2012 23:30 #512424 by davem
I just want to thank everyone for there help with this problem.
The bike is running awesome!!!! :woohoo: I will be posting a concern I have in the body section.

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD