first post! a sad one...1982 kz750 ltd wont start

More
17 Mar 2012 19:42 - 17 Mar 2012 19:45 #510268 by ldizzle
What's from DFW to KZrider forum. Maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction...

I purchased this bike about a month ago... and it had some issues (oil pressure sensor purging oil/I replaced it no big deal,and gasket repair)

I Finally, and confidently, get it all ready to take to work on Thursday...

Turned on the key, lights all engage, in neutral, kill-switch is in "run".. and my solenoid just clicks once.
Nothing.
So I bump start it, ride 'round the block...engine ran perfectly... went back into my driveway, shut it off- expected it to be the battery having a low charge and would have recharged enough to restart. Nothing. Just a single "Click."

So...Drove to work in my car...

I took the battery to autozone and they tested it- all positive.
Bought another battery just in case...Same problem; a single "click."

Checked the solenoid by trying to jump straight from the hot-line to the starter? Nothing but a slight mechanical sigh.

Now, there was a fluid leaking from the left side of the motorcycle when I got it...but I plugged it. It looked like fresh oil or still clear. ...Which was strange because I use conventional oil...

My question is: Do you think my issue is the starter clutch?

And if so, is it worth attempting to fix?

or if so, how much do you think it would be at a repair shop?

Or am I missing something really dumb that would make this issue as well...

Thanks in advance for acknowledging this post!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 19:45 by ldizzle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2012 20:42 #510274 by TexasKZ
That does not sound like a typical bad starter clutch. Generally when they go bad, the starter will spin without turning the engine. I'd start with the simple stuff like insuring that the battery cables are in good shape and that both ends of each cable are making tight, clean contact.

If that's not the solution, then it might be a good idea to get a can of Deoxit and a box of cotton swabs and a small wire brush and carefully clean every electrical connector on the bike. MFolks has posted on this a number of times.

A factory shop manual is an important investment for owners of old bikes. It has diagnostic procedures and other important info that will save you time, money and frustration. Get one.

You may also want to search the electrical and carburetor sections of the forum for posts dealing with this issue.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
17 Mar 2012 21:16 #510281 by gd4now
So if you jump the starter directly from the battery it does not spin. If that is the case then the starter is the problem. If it does spin then I would check the starter relay and all the wires/cables involved esp the grounds.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: ldizzle

More
17 Mar 2012 21:25 #510283 by ldizzle
Yeah I tried jumping the starter directly bypassing the solenoid. Just sighs. I got it to turn maybe once slowly, but nothing like a normal start.
Ive heard rumors of bad grounding issues... But I cleaned the ground today as well.

Keep that info flowing- you guys rock!

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
17 Mar 2012 22:36 #510292 by gd4now
Well in less the battery does not have a full charge then the starter is the issue.

It may just need new brushes, but it could be other things as well. IIRC there are kits for rebuilding / repairing them. But I would not buy a kit until I pull the starter and take a look at it.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
17 Mar 2012 23:29 #510310 by Patton
If not already done, would assure integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Mar 2012 23:39 #510317 by 650ed
You said "Turned on the key, lights all engage, in neutral, kill-switch is in "run".. and my solenoid just clicks once.
Nothing."

Are you holding the clutch lever in when you hit the starter button? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Mar 2012 23:48 #510327 by ldizzle
Awesome word, guys.
I'll pull the starter motor tomorrow and check it out. Hopefully it will be related- I don't love the idea of breaking into the starter clutch- if the motor isnt hitting the clutch...that makes sense why it wouldn't work.

This will be my first attempt at checking out a starter- I can find some info on it, but any direct info on what to look for in my kz?

I have a ground from the battery to the rear of the engine- looks factory made. I disassembled it, scoured it, and reattached it. Should be a good connection. I did this with all visible connections... I used to play music for a living so electronics are fun to me. But breaking into a starter clutch kinda terrifies me.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming!

More
18 Mar 2012 00:22 #510339 by Patton

650ed wrote: You said "Turned on the key, lights all engage, in neutral, kill-switch is in "run".. and my solenoid just clicks once.
Nothing."

Are you holding the clutch lever in when you hit the starter button? Ed

Some models have a built in "lock-out" switch that prevents the electric starter from engaging unless the handlebar clutch lever is being fully squeezed in against the handlebar grip.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Mar 2012 01:02 #510352 by ldizzle
Certainly pulling the clutch fully in upon hitting the ignition. The ignition won't activate at all w/o the clutch pulled in.

Thanks!

More
18 Mar 2012 05:08 #510369 by mbosanko
Had a similar problem with mine. Turned out the cable to the starter, though looking ok was corroded under the plastic sheath. Continuity test didn't show it up. It just turned over once and then just sighed. Made a new cable and it now turns over fine. Hope this might help

More
18 Mar 2012 18:16 #510473 by ldizzle
So! I think it's the starter itself...I tapped on it a couple of times and it loosened up. Even turned over hard once! Then locked back up...

Does it sound like I need to take the starter apart and rebuild it?