No Spark 440B1

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
15 Mar 2012 15:43 #509835 by mwriders
No Spark 440B1 was created by mwriders
Wow, I am really stumped. We're looking at a 1980 KZ440B1 here, so it's a points ignition.

A few weeks ago I installed new points and condenser, set the valves and fired it up. No problems. The next morning I checked my work ahead of what I thought would be a test ride. It hasn't started since.

The engine turns over happily and every now and then seems to fire on at least one side, but never more than a single ignition.

Hooked up a timing light (inductive type) to see if I had spark and found it to be intermittent and actually mostly absent.

I've been through service manual's trouble shooting guide several times, and can't find anything wrong. Battery is relatively new and fully charged. The stock coil checked good, at least through the primary and secondary windings (I don't actually have a coil tester, so that's all I could do). Since the book says that testing the windings doesn't guarantee a working coil and since I had a new Emgo coil on a shelf, I installed it (this takes drilling a new hole in the mounting bracket, BTW). Still nothing. Put the old coil back on. Still nothing. New plug caps. Still nothing.

I've checked every connection several times. Set and reset the points gap and timing. Even serviced the advancer.

That's about it for the trouble shooting guide. Could I have blown the new condenser? If I had, wouldn't I be able to see the points arc?

Any advice will be appreciated here, although just venting seems to help the mental side of the problem.

Thanks. I feel better.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 16:07 - 15 Mar 2012 16:08 #509837 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic No Spark 440B1
are you sure the wires to the points are not grounded out are the plastic washers in the right place? sounds like to me the points are going to ground and are the points clean? :unsure: did you pinch any wires ?
Last edit: 15 Mar 2012 16:08 by nobody. Reason: added more

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.