IC ignitor box

More
11 Mar 2012 19:05 #509083 by baldy110
IC ignitor box was created by baldy110
I am running an IC ignitor box out of a 1982 GPz750 on my 82 GPz1100 engine. I am having a really hard time with a hanging idle. The engine runs good but the idle hangs up around 1600 RPMS and it will eventualy idle down but it takes awhile. Now I know everyone is thinking carb problem, it is not a carb problem, I have checked absoulty everthing on the carbs up to and including swapping out carbs. The problem remains. I have eliminated the intake system.
Now to my question. The part numbers on the IC ignitors are different. Would using the 750 ignitor to run the 1100 cause this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2012 22:01 - 11 Mar 2012 22:02 #509127 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic IC ignitor box

baldy110 wrote: I am running an IC ignitor box out of a 1982 GPz750 on my 82 GPz1100 engine. I am having a really hard time with a hanging idle. The engine runs good but the idle hangs up around 1600 RPMS and it will eventualy idle down but it takes awhile. Now I know everyone is thinking carb problem, it is not a carb problem, I have checked absoulty everthing on the carbs up to and including swapping out carbs. The problem remains. I have eliminated the intake system.
Now to my question. The part numbers on the IC ignitors are different. Would using the 750 ignitor to run the 1100 cause this?

No, it shouldn't. But the advancer might, if it's sticking. A timing light will show if it's returning to idle-advance or not.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 22:02 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
11 Mar 2012 22:11 #509129 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic IC ignitor box
Look behind a right side engine cover about CD sized, this is where the mechanical ignition advancer lives on your bike. With the engine off, give it a twist & see if it returns to original position. If it is sticking, make note of how it's mounted, as it can be re-assembled 180 degrees out.

Light lubrication is about all it needs now and then, usually 3-in-one or sewing machine oil on the moving parts will work.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Apr 2012 19:07 #513429 by HAILCON71
Replied by HAILCON71 on topic IC ignitor box
Right now i have the exact same problem with my R1.
My bike after giving it a little throttle will not settle to a lower Idle speed.
I had the problem before I disassembled the Bike. After reassembly it is still there.
My IC Igniter tested bad and I'm currently putting Loudvx's ignition mod together.
I have looked at my timing advancer and the only thing I can find that might be wrong is the when the counterweights attach to the advancer there is about a 1/16 of an inch of play. Do you have the same amount of play in yours.

More
02 Apr 2012 14:18 #513580 by loudhvx
Once the rotor is slipped over the advancer shaft, that play should get taken up. If not then maybe the springs are stretched?
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
15 Apr 2012 18:47 #515983 by HAILCON71
The springs do look like they have seen better days. Any body have a source for just the springs. I took the advancer off and gave it a good clean and lube. That tiny bit of play is still there. I installed the ignition mod and have "Fat" spark. I never thought I would actually see a visual difference in the spark. I'm sure the new dyna coils and the IG mod have a hand in that. I should be ready for a runnup tomorrow. I just have to cut a pipe down for the mufflers about a 1/4 so the muffler can mount. I love how just installing a gasket can cause so much work. The PO did not install the down pipe to collector gaskets and I just put it back together the way I took it apart. The pipes were loose and sucking in air. That air condensed and drained out the drain holes in the mufflers. Add the proper gaskets and it throws off the whole arrangement.
Pumped about the MOD!

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
16 Apr 2012 11:12 #516139 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic IC ignitor box
Find springs from an old distributor if you can still find them. Possibly hardware or industrial supplier. Any movement from the advancer will advance/retard the timing.
Ignition mod sounds like it's going to work out for you.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
16 Apr 2012 15:52 #516188 by oldzed
Replied by oldzed on topic IC ignitor box
Have you had the cams out?
if so are you sure that the timing is spot on.

One tooth out on the timing can cause this

regards
Craig

More
16 Apr 2012 19:56 #516231 by HAILCON71
Not sure if your replying to Baldy or I. I have checked the timing statically. Bye positioning the timing mark in relation to the cam position the lobe is just after the ignition pickup 2-3 degrees at top dead center, which would tell me the engine is firing BTDC and I am very close if not dead on. I had this problem before I cracked the engine open. Last resort is cracking it open again and I either have too much cam chain stretch or I am off a tooth. I'm going to tighten the spring loops so I can eliminate sloppy timing advance. We shall see. I had another setback reattaching the fuel filter it cracked. Gotta run out tomorrow and get a couple more to have on hand.

More
17 Apr 2012 21:02 #516386 by HAILCON71
Wow!!! What a difference! Thanks Lou for the Ignition mod. The bike fired right up. The plugs aren't all sooty like before the Mod. Just having spark is not enough, you have to have good spark. Now I have to get out the vacume guages and get the carbs all synched up.. Watch out BOTM I'll have her on the road soon.

More
18 Apr 2012 00:53 #516430 by loudhvx
Suweeet! Glad it worked! B) Can't wait to see pictures!

More
22 Apr 2012 21:08 #517410 by jasbarsydvic
Replied by jasbarsydvic on topic IC ignitor box
what is this ignition mod you are talking about?