1 bad coil?

More
01 Mar 2012 18:38 #507234 by dleakT
1 bad coil? was created by dleakT
I was riding the other week and my bike clunked out on me. The main fuse was blown so I replaced it and still no start. Since then I've checked and rechecked all of the wiring and everything looks good. I have a Dyna S ignition system on the bike and ,at the time, Accel Coils. I eventually tested for spark and found none from any of the plugs. I got the coils tested and the shop said one was bad. Is it likely that one coil would go bad while riding as well as blow a fuse and stop the entire engine?

I ordered used coils on ebay and the bike still doesn't spark. I've been at this for weeks and can't figure it out!

Any impute would be great!

Thanks,

Dane

1981 KZ750 E2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
01 Mar 2012 19:45 #507247 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic 1 bad coil?
go to dynatek, they have some support info on their products, troubleshooting etc, they can be buggers if you get a bad one, just leaving the key on for a few minutes can blow a coil, sounds like something more than a bad coil, they usually start breaking up when they get hot, sounds like a short to me.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
01 Mar 2012 21:24 #507263 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic 1 bad coil?
wouldnt still two of the plugs have spark if one coil was bad. and you said no spark on all 4? sounds like it would be something else to me.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Mar 2012 21:49 #507273 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic 1 bad coil?
Do you have power coming out of the signal generator wires going to the coils? I would start tracing the wires involved in the ignition circuit. A direct short could blow all sorts of components. I would think a short took out the coil and fuse rather than the coil failing, especially while riding it. Time to pull out the meter and test light to find out the source of the problems.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
01 Mar 2012 23:29 - 01 Mar 2012 23:30 #507301 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1 bad coil?
Here's an idea of where to check for battery voltage.

For example, a faulty clip on either end of the fuse could prevent continuity through a good fuse.

Would also refer to the wiring diagram in the filebase for the specific year and model at hand.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2012 23:30 by Patton.

More
02 Mar 2012 13:04 #507380 by dleakT
Replied by dleakT on topic 1 bad coil?
Thanks everyone for the help!

There is the right amount of voltage (around 9V when starting) to both of the positive coil leads and the negative wires coming from the Dyna S plate aren't showing any voltage.

I've checked almost every wire on the bike, making sure nothing is unintentionally grounding out. If all of the connections seem to be getting the right voltage from the battery all the way to the coils/ignition system, and I'm still getting no spark, could I narrow the problem to either the coils or the Dyna S itself?

The Dyna S and coils were put on the bike by a previous owner. He cut the green and the solid black wires coming from the igniter but tapped the red wire (the one getting power directly from the engine stop switch)going to the Igniter as a power source for the ignition system. I was told by the helpful Dynatek folks that this isn't the best wire to tap. Is there a better wire to tap into?

Part of my problem could be that I have kept the ignition on (key on) too long since I've been working on the bike and that is creating issues.

You guys are awesome! Thanks again for the help.

Dane

Btw you learn a lot if you tear your bike apart and are willing to end up empty handed at the end of the day...

1981 KZ750 E2

More
02 Mar 2012 15:18 - 02 Mar 2012 15:22 #507409 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic 1 bad coil?
go to dynaonline.com then scroll down towards bottom of page on the left it will say support click on that then a box will appear choose your system then hit look up and choose your model and it will bring up a wiring diagram.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 15:22 by Powerstroke_fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dleakT

More
02 Mar 2012 16:14 #507415 by dleakT
Replied by dleakT on topic 1 bad coil?
Powerstroke,

I have the wiring diagram and troubleshooting PDF. The Dyna is hooked up properly. I have to learn Dyna's language to understand their troubleshooting guide... Thanks!

1981 KZ750 E2