1980 KZ750 LTD No Spark, Confused...

• dukecityradical
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Feb 2012 22:10 - 01 Mar 2012 16:53 #507107 by dukecityradical
1980 KZ750 LTD No Spark, Confused... was created by dukecityradical
(First, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere -- I have a 1980 KZ1000 that doesn't charge particularly well, but has given me no cause to drop by in some time. I browsed using keywords, but couldn't find anything that led me to a fix for...)

My friend just bought a 1980 KZ750 LTD. He's broke as a joke, and picked it up on the super cheap as the previous owner said that the bike would die suddenly at irregular intervals, and he couldn't figure out what the issue was. My friend rode it several miles back to my place, and reported that it ran great the whole way. It's been sitting for a couple of months, and we're trying to wake it up, and now we have a no spark condition. He installed a relay to provide power to the coils, and we now show right about 12 volts to the primary side of the coils with key on (drops to between 8 and 9 when cranking.) We continue to show that voltage to the igniter, and all the rest of the bike's electrics seem to be working fine. So I bought a used igniter (off ebay, supposedly off a good running bike!! :dry: ), installed it, and no change.

Today, I went through everything I could think of to try to create spark, and was unable to do so. I measured the resistance of the coils, primaries are both in range (2.2 ohms), secondary side of one was around 19k (a bit high, I believe), and the didn't get continuity from the other, but may have simply not hit metal while probing. Anyway, I have a coil set from an '86 CB 700 S lying around, and they showed similar measurements (2.9 ohms primary, 20k secondary), so I hooked the wires to the primary side of one (careful to keep proper polarity), and checked spark with a plug against the side of the engine. Nothing. I pulled the side cover -- everything looks very clean with the pickups, etc. Didn't check the air gap, but didn't see an adjustment for it on the mounts, and the pickups were securely mounted. Out of frustration, I eventually backprobed the wire coming from the primary side of the coil at the connecter to the igniter, and used a wire to directly ground the primary side of the coil -- checked for spark with plug against engine when I broke the circuit. Nothing.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but as far as I can tell, I've now bypassed the igniter, and tried a presumably known good set of coils with different plug wires, and have not managed to elicit spark, despite having good power to the primary side of the coils. Any ideas? I'd truly appreciate.

Thanks.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2012 16:53 by dukecityradical. Reason: Clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.