ignition switch from Z1E

More
26 Feb 2012 15:23 #506454 by andler2008
ignition switch from Z1E was created by andler2008
i need a new ignition so i ordered one from Z1E. it's got the 6 pin connector like mine does but i also have a hot wire off the side that isnt in the 6 pin connector. but it definately needs to be on there to work. the first 2 pics are of mine. the one shows the connector and the hot wire outside of the connector.

Attachment photo_2012-02-26.JPG not found

Attachment photo1.JPG not found

has anyone else ever bought an ignition for after 80's bikes on Z1E? how did you deal with the hot wire like i have?

1980 KZ 1075
Mods? Pshh I have no idea right now

1981 Kz1000 CSR - Sold
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2012 05:16 #506627 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ignition switch from Z1E
Which model was the ignition listed for? I looked up the 81 KZ1000 M CSR on Z1E and didn't see an ignition switch listed for it in the electrical parts section.

If the other 6 wires on the new switch work exactly the same as the 6 wires on your original ignition switch, then you can just connect the yellow/red wire on the harness to the brown wire on the harness, as long as the wiring is original, and the diode in the tail light circuit is working properly.

The reason you have the extra YEL/RED wire is to give an extra measure of safety in case you use the parking position on the ignition switch. The park position is designed to leave the tail light on while the rest of the bike is off. There is a diode in the tail light circuit, designed to prevent the tailight circuit from back-feeding power to the rest of the bike. However, if the diode was shorted out, power would go the rest of the bike. The YEL/RED wire was added to run ignition power seperately so that in case the diode shorted out, the ignition would not get power, even though the rest of the bike (lights etc.) would get powered. If you never use the park position, and/or as long as the diode is working properly, you can just splice the RED/YEL wire to the BRN wire at the ignition switch.

More
27 Feb 2012 22:11 #506744 by andler2008
Replied by andler2008 on topic ignition switch from Z1E
Wow thanks for the info. I got the ignition that looked identical to mine. I just went to the category part on the right and searched it down.

1980 KZ 1075
Mods? Pshh I have no idea right now

1981 Kz1000 CSR - Sold