Timing Gremlin

• bluej58
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
22 Feb 2012 14:56 - 22 Feb 2012 15:00 #505671 by bluej58
Timing Gremlin was created by bluej58
This is a problem that has plagued my bike since I've owned it , "around thirty years"

I haven't timed it in about 25 years, it sat for 20 years so I'm a little sketchy on procedure and am about a month away from doing the actual timing but I figured that I should start thinking about it now.

After setting the points and going on to set the advance, I have never been able to get it perfect.
It always comes up just shy of the mark.
I have had many knowledgeable people try but always came up short.

I the past I have swapped out the plate , pushed the points tight one way and jammed the plate the other way , but still have the same problem.

The bike still ran good but would lose by a length against my buddy that had a 78 1000 every time.
He would slip away in the end :pinch:

Have any of you guys came across this before and what the heck can I do about it ?

JD

Sorry about the crappy pic.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 15:00 by bluej58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2012 15:09 #505674 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Timing Gremlin
Here is the method I use for static timing on my KZ650-C1. I turn OFF the ignition. To make the task easier, I disconnect the green wire near one coil and the black wire near the other coil. (This is not in the book, but it makes checking continuity much easier for me.) After installing the new points, turn the 17 mm nut while watching the points. When points pair 1&4 are at their widest gap adjust them (by loosening the 2 screws that hold the points to the backplate) so the gap equals 0.35 mm; do this carefully as this gap will affect your ability to time the ignition. Turn the 17 mm nut clockwise through a full revolution again and double check this gap. Then repeat this for points pair 3&4. Now set your meter to test continuity and clip one lead to the leaf spring on points set 1&4 and clip the other lead to ground. Turn the 17 mm nut clockwise until the 1&4 F mark aligns with the pointer. You want the continuity across points pair 1&4 to just break when the F mark aligns with the pointer. The idea is that when the continuity just breaks is when the points will fire their respective coil and cylinders. In order to adjust the point at which continuity breaks, loosen the 3 screws that hold the backplate to the engine and slightly turn the backplate until the meter shows a break in continuity. Once you have the 1&4 points timed properly you can check the 2&3 pair to make sure they break when the 2&3 F mark aligns with the pointer. Don’t forget to plug in the green and black coil wires when you are done, and put a little grease on the rubbing block felt. Assuming you are using new points of the correct type this should enable you to get the timing very close. Trying this with old points may give poor results, especially if the points are pitted and/or the rubbing blocks are worn. Once this is done you can fine tune the adjustments using the timing light and dwell meter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
22 Feb 2012 15:12 #505675 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Timing Gremlin
I can relate bro, I ran points for decades on my 900 also. When set right she would run like a scalded dog, then after some miles she would start running sluggish and it was time for another adjustment. After a while one side would not quite line up and fire when it was supposed to no matter how I turned the plate and points.

I bit the bullet and bought the dyna s and green coils, have not had a problem since. Set it and forget it. Loved the dyna so much I also installed on my 77 KZ650 which was also a point fired bike.

I know it can be costly for the dyna and coils but it really is the way to go and you will not be disappointed.

If you can get the static timing close with points then it is usually close with a light if the advance is working correctly. I do not know what to tell you if you are out of adjustment on the plate. I scratched my head myself and could not make it work without modifying the plate, thats when I ordered the dyna.

Let us know how it works out for you

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• bluej58
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
23 Feb 2012 17:58 - 23 Feb 2012 17:59 #505960 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Timing Gremlin
An electronic ignition is probably the best fix for sure, and the price wasn't that bad but probably isn't in the budget for this season , I hope....

Don't know why I never modified the plate but it will probably come back to me when I get started.

Thanks for the tutorial ED, it will come in handy.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 17:59 by bluej58.