kz 650 77 starter clutch

More
14 Feb 2012 09:16 #503930 by KZ650Man
kz 650 77 starter clutch was created by KZ650Man
Hi, my starter is doing and strange noise and dont start, I take out the starter, the brush and everything look in good condition. I think the problem is the starter clutch. anyone knows where can I find a pdf manual, instruction or a video on youtube that explain how to check and replace the starter clutch? thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2012 09:53 #503932 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz 650 77 starter clutch

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ650Man

More
07 Mar 2012 17:02 #508356 by daverclasper
Replied by daverclasper on topic kz 650 77 starter clutch
Hi. i'm not sure of anyway of checking it without removing the secondry shaft (on which the starter clutch is on),though I think the starter motor engages with an idler gear that then engages the s/s sprocket which only moves in 1 direction of rotation and it maybe able to check this through the starter motot aperture. there are three round sprung devices which can develop flats with wear, which will cause it to slip instead of locking in the 1 direction of rotation. It may be possible to remove secondry shaft with engine in frame through the sump opening(though clutch would have to be removed and I think the oil pump).The idea is to hold the s/c by its sprocket in original postion and tap the s/s out though it. When S/S is free, then s/c sprocket can be removed from main hyvo chain and s/c removed. This could be fidly and I proberely would only try it as I am familier with removing these parts with engine out.