kz750g twin clanking when starting

More
08 Feb 2012 23:32 - 08 Feb 2012 23:37 #502893 by dkl
starter clutch cks out fine. with cover off engine will start with no problem. with cover installed there is a very loud clanking sound when starter is engaged, sounds like metal to metal. I see no marks on inside of cover that is being hit. Motorcycle runs great after cranking. I have run out of ideas. can flywheel sprocket or starter sprocket or chain be problem.....help...ps sometimes when it does this I have tried to kickstart, it is very hard to kick start and kicks back like a banshee, Is this related to problem. Usually it kickstarts normally....

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS
Last edit: 08 Feb 2012 23:37 by dkl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2012 02:10 #502918 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz750g twin clanking when starting
Inspect the flywheel/rotor closely, when the cover is off there is no load, when the cover is installed the magnets on the rotor are attracted to the stator causing a drag.

So, no noise with no cover, install cover and it makes noise.

KD9JUR

More
09 Feb 2012 11:03 - 09 Feb 2012 11:05 #502975 by dkl
Replied by dkl on topic kz750g twin clanking when starting
The side aluminum cover , Not the flywheel,,,,does the aluminum cover have something to do with magnets and load? I thought it just held the oil in and increased load a little from oil pressure? I have a new starter clutch coming so I will install and rule out clutch.

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 11:05 by dkl.

More
09 Feb 2012 16:08 #503025 by steell
The stator is bolted to the cover, when you bolt the cover on the stator fits inside the flywheel/rotor. The magnets on the flywheel/rotor act on the stator to produce electrical power, so they put a load on the flywheel.

It's a permanent magnet alternator so it produces power all the time it's turning.

KD9JUR

More
09 Feb 2012 21:52 #503075 by dkl
no marks inside cover or stator...the only place that may be marked is side of engine wher starter chain may have hit,,,right on top of the big sprocket.....with everything installed and tourqed, the big sprocket has some play...Is this normal...also does starter sprocket install with long side first...that is how I read manual....but exploded view shows sprocket by itself with long side away from starter.....I'M CONFRUSSEDD!!!!!

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS

More
10 Feb 2012 03:47 #503123 by steell
The long side of the sprocket fits inside the starter clutch, that's what the rollers contact.

KD9JUR

More
10 Feb 2012 09:36 #503158 by dkl
my starter gear spocket is correct,,I'm asking about the small sprocket on the starter....does the long side go toward the starter motor, or away from the starter..

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS

More
10 Feb 2012 09:56 #503162 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750g twin clanking when starting
If not already done, the parts diagrams at kawasaki.com might be helpful.

Here's a link toward navigating the site and finding information.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Feb 2012 10:03 #503164 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750g twin clanking when starting

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2012 10:48 #503169 by dkl
in the diagram the small sprocket (has one side flush one side portruding) looks like it should mount on starter shaft with flush side first,,,,,,,but in installation manual notes, it says portruding side mounts first....I'm still confused??? I'm trying to dot every I----to locate loud clank sound.

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Feb 2012 13:33 #503196 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750g twin clanking when starting
Are the Dowl locators on the case/ cover? there should be two, so the Stator and Rotor are aligned correctly. You sound to have an alignment issue, if with the cover off it all sounds normal.
Maybe try some Bluing to see where the contact is.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Feb 2012 21:33 #503251 by dkl
my cover fits perfectly,,,,i have installed new starter clutch...and it still clanks sometimes when i hit starter button. The large starter gear sprocket still has a little slack..the starter chain can be pushed at top of large sprocket and it will touch side of engine it appears to have worn into the metal some..i believe that is sound...I need solution..my small sprocket on starter motor is installed with flush side against starter motor as pictured.....(but in manual installation notes, it stated portuding side goes on first) My sprocket teeth are sharp, and chain seems a little loose. POSSIBLE SOLUTION:There is no shim pictured between large sprocket and engine maybe put one...File away the two areas on side of engine where chain hits. Try to locate both starter sprockets and new chain. any suggesions welcomed

OLDER I GET
THE BETTER I WAS