Who loves their points ignition?

More
01 Feb 2012 13:23 #501314 by notaduc
Who loves their points ignition? was created by notaduc
Im not sure why, but I have been considering sticking with the points on my bike when I put it back together.

I know I have heard a few folks who really like their points ignitions.

Hoping to hear some of the reasons people like them.

I have heard plenty of why others don't.

1980 (mostly) KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2012 15:00 #501332 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Who loves their points ignition?
There's nothing wrong with the points system, it worked for many years until they got the electronics down pat, for reliability. With the electronic ignition, once it's set, you can forget it. The points have to be checked for clearance and wear every year. I got one for my KZ 650, but haven't installed it yet. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
01 Feb 2012 15:24 #501337 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Who loves their points ignition?
No magic boxes to fail when you least need it.

Larry C.

More
01 Feb 2012 15:27 #501339 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Who loves their points ignition?
I like points fine on my bike. Maybe because after using them for 35 years they don't offer much challenge in maintaining. I replace them about every 8 - 10k miles. One advantage they have over electronic is I don't think points ever fail hard and leave you stuck, whereas electronic can do that sometimes. However, I do understand why folks like electronic ignition - zero maintenance. My cars & truck are electronic and I wouldn't change them to points even if I could, so I'm not anti-electronic, I guess I'm just used to them on the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2012 15:30 #501343 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Who loves their points ignition?
I have no issues with mine. Unless I were converting to a fully electric advance as well as ignition, I'll stick with them.

More
01 Feb 2012 17:31 #501370 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Who loves their points ignition?
On tour many years ago, a condencer failed. The points burned and one coil stopped working, but I got to the nearest town where I bought a condencer for a Mitsubishi and 600 paper to smooth the points and was soon on my way. With electronic failure, I'd be stranded. However, electronic ignitions never fail as often as points ignitions - but carrying a spare set of points and condencer cost nothing (if you carry a set you replaced) whereas a complete electronic set cost space and money. Still, neither system is a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't pay to convert either way. I may modify the plates to take points from a V8 Chevy as they are made to take a lot more abuse and cost a lot less than stock points.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
01 Feb 2012 18:36 - 01 Feb 2012 18:37 #501385 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Who loves their points ignition?

faffi wrote: However, electronic ignitions never fail as often as points ignitions -

Not sure that's true. My CDI has blown a couple of times. I have also read many posts about Dyna ignitions with blown channel drivers.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Feb 2012 18:37 by bountyhunter.

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
01 Feb 2012 18:49 #501391 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Who loves their points ignition?
LOL! I totally thought the OP was going to be something like "I love my points. I don't have any problems with my points. Look at all the posts for electronic ignition problems on this forum. LOL!"

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
01 Feb 2012 20:43 #501410 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Who loves their points ignition?
On KZs I've got about 200,000 miles on Dyna ignitions with one failure, and 120,000 on factory electronic with zero failure, so I'd say 320,000 miles on one failure is pretty good. Points I have a grand total of 10,000 miles on a KZ and they were a major disaster in that 10,000 when the bike was new back in 1978. So no I do not love points ignition I'm afraid. :)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.