starter noise

• joe*
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '82 KZ750N
More
01 Feb 2012 04:15 #501260 by joe*
starter noise was created by joe*
Can there be a situation where the engine continues to spin the starter armature after the engine is running? I have a kz750 with around twenty-thousand - no kickstarter. The starter quit working. the contacts(brushes) were gone the braided copperleads to the brushes were what was touching the contacts - the thing was chock full of stinky powder. I got a used starter from the local boneyard. I didn't do the continuity test of each contact on the armature. I cleaned and lubed the used replacement starter.THe brushes are like new.
For 15 starts after installing the replacement starter, for part of a second after letting off the start switch I heard a kinda moan/whirring noise. That symptom is now gone but I still have to press the starter switch sometimes 3 times to get the cold blooded beast to crank. I wonder could I be grinding my replacement brushes 'cause of some starter clutch thing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2012 04:56 #501262 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic starter noise
Try this thread, i think i went through the same thing, same bike too.

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/47568...start-updated#475918

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1

• joe*
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '82 KZ750N
More
01 Feb 2012 06:20 #501263 by joe*
Replied by joe* on topic starter noise
Thanks for the link. That sure sounds like the noise. Less intense (a little lower pitch) and less duration than I had. So I guess it fixed itself? My starter always cranked the motor. That thread was confusing to me, the mechanical part - was a gear loose from its axle? what was the noise from?
I am anxious that my engine could be spinning my starter and the commutator could be wearing my brushes down as I ride down the highway.

More
01 Feb 2012 07:54 #501268 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic starter noise
If you look at page 1 of that thread you'll see a pic near the bottom of a small piece of metal. That small piece came loose in the nose of my starter so the outer gear was able to spin freely & instead of turning the motor over the gear just spun in the motor nose.. That piece of metal locks the bigger outer gear to the starter motor nose body.

Maybe your piece of metal moved & stuck somewhere else again? If it has it probably wont be long until it does it again

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1