Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to check kill switch and iginition 25 May 2006 09:15 #50004

• Shoey949
  • Shoey949's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have put about 150 miles on my winter project and it ran fantastic. However I go out to start the bike and it turns over but I have no spark all of the sudden. I'm assuming it is a short in the ignition key or the kill switch. I have checked all the wiring connections and they all look good. How do I check the key and kill switch to see if they are working, I have a multimeter, I'm just a bit electrically challenged.

Thanks,
Nate
'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to check kill switch and iginition 25 May 2006 17:59 #50111

• Shoey949
  • User
Help Please!!! Full lights and it cranks over fine, but no spark. I have no power at the coils. All the connections look good, so where should I look at?

Thanks,
Nate
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

How to check kill switch and iginition 25 May 2006 20:00 #50144

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
Check the connections at your ignition box, follow wires from pickup coils that are under the small cover on the R/H side of the engine up to ignition box , and then wires to coils, bet there is a bad connection....

good luck

How to check kill switch and iginition 26 May 2006 07:52 #50228

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You are on the right track. If your starter turns over but the coils are not powered, do this:

1. first check to see if it really is a coil powering issue. Turn key on. Put your POS lead on the yellow/red wire on your coil and the NEG lead on the frame. If you get 12VDC, you were wrong and your lack of spark is NOT your powering of the coils but elsewhere. Since I don't know what type ignition you have, I can't begin troubleshooting that so ask in a separate thread after explaining what type of ignition you have.

2. IF you have no power at your coils, open your right hand switchgear. Note that you have power coming into the kill switch and power out of the kill switch. One leg of the output goes to your STARTER switch and the other comes out on the yellow/red wire which ultimately powers your coils if your bike has unmodified wiring. You can turn the key on once again and check for voltage using the multimeter on this wire. Pos on wire and NEG on frame ground. (Be in DC scale). If you DO NOT have power here, the wire is not connected to the kill switch since you can turn the bike over and power is getting down from the switch and through your kill switch button to your starter relay. If you have power at this point, then remove your tank.

3. On your right hand steering stem neck is a connector that connects the right hand switchgear with the main harness. Open the connector and clean the pins using spray contact cleaner and then use some dielectic grease on the pins. Check for voltage on the pin associated with the yellow/red wire. If you are good here, THE only other place where you can loose connectivity is at the dual out plug above your carbs where the wires to the coils plug in.

As always, if you check things systematically, you WILL find the problem and your problem lies in the area I described above.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

How to check kill switch and iginition 27 May 2006 10:31 #50447

• Shoey949
  • User
Actually found that it was in the ignition key contact b/c I could wiggle it around and get a spark. So any suggestions?

Grand Rapids, MI

• Page: