Plugging the wires back into the ignition coils.

• crazy homeless guy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 KZ650 CSR
More
20 Jan 2012 01:26 #498995 by crazy homeless guy
Plugging the wires back into the ignition coils. was created by crazy homeless guy
So ....wo wants to set me straight on the wiring for the ignition coils? I have had these unhooked for 5 months and didn't attach a piece of tap to tell me what order to plug the gren/red/black wires back in.

Attached is the right side and left side.

I have the wires plugged in now, but I have no reason to believe that I plugged them in correctly.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

1981 KZ650 CSR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 02:38 #499002 by MFolks
Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs(your primary wiring may be different).

The 550’s, 650’s, 700’s & 750’s are backwards to what is listed for the bigger 4’s.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod. Your primary wiring may have a different color.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together, so it makes no difference which is used, as long as the correct coil to sparkplug configuration is followed.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS(5000), any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.
Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s, 650‘s,700’s, and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

An indication of black and sooty sparkplugs may not mean a carb or carbs are in need of cleaning, but may mean the input voltage is low.

When checking the input voltage to the ignition coils, first have a fully charged battery, and the using a multimeter, set it up to measure VDC(Volts, Direct Current), range of 20.

Put the RED probe from the multimeter on the same terminal that either a RED wire or ones that’s RED with YELLOW stripe, and the BLACK probe on either a good frame/Earth ground or the battery Negative(-) terminal/post.

Depending on the motorcycles current draw( lighting, and other high amp needs) the reading might be 10 volts or more, but if the reading is down around 8 volts or less, this indicates a corrosion or wiring problem needs correcting to improve input voltage to the coils.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

Ignition coils have no polarity, that is it makes no difference on the primary(small wires) side of the coils.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Jan 2012 03:47 #499007 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2012 18:02 #500696 by kcornell6
Replied by kcornell6 on topic Plugging the wires back into the ignition coils.
I'm in the same situation. How do we know what the polarity is for which one is pos/neg?

Kev

96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

More
29 Jan 2012 18:04 #500700 by MFolks
Just make sure the RED wire goes to the same terminal for each ignition coil, otherwise the coils have no polarity.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)