Gauge Cluster

More
12 Jan 2012 18:39 #497792 by tbaumga2
Gauge Cluster was created by tbaumga2
So I've got a 81 gpz with an 84 engine in it. The tach was switched out in order to accommodate the digital one that the engine requires, but they made a mess out of the housing trying to get it to fit correctly. Also, they drilled the dash to put the extra lights in (which looks awful).

I'm wondering if I can swap out the whole cluster and put in a set from 84 and have it fit reasonably well on the 81 body. I know the styling between the years in a bit different, and I might not have enough space behind the fairing.

Anyone have experience with this? Or know off hand if it would fit? I can't measure at the moment since the bike is in storage across town.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2012 12:40 #498046 by tbaumga2
Replied by tbaumga2 on topic Gauge Cluster
better yet! does anyone here have an '84? If so, are both the gauges digital, or is the speedo still cable-connected?

More
14 Jan 2012 12:48 #498050 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Gauge Cluster
Speedo is still mechanical in 84.

KD9JUR

More
14 Jan 2012 14:52 #498065 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gauge Cluster

tbaumga2 wrote: better yet! does anyone here have an '84? If so, are both the gauges digital, or is the speedo still cable-connected?

May determine this at kawasaki.com by looking at what cables are fitted for the speedo and/or tach.

Here's a link for help with navigating the kawasaki.com site to find parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, vailability, etc.
Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Jan 2012 23:08 #498113 by tbaumga2
Replied by tbaumga2 on topic Gauge Cluster
awesome info, thanks!