'82 KZ550 LTD Cluster

More
12 Jan 2012 12:57 #497745 by Jdee
'82 KZ550 LTD Cluster was created by Jdee
I picked up my bike not too long ago and am in the process of going over everything and taking most of it apart. I've disconnected most the wiring but don't have it completely out yet. Unfortunately, when I got the seat off and took a look, I found out that the battery box was rusted nearly all the way through. So, I'm going to get a new one and replace that.

But, my question pertains to the stock speedo/odometer, tach and signals cluster. I'm hoping to get it off this weekend and get the whole wiring harness out. to start laying it out and go over what might be on there i don't need or what needs to be replaced. But, I'd like to replace the harness with just an speedo/odometer.

I've been looking around and found a few that seem ok but I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions for it and what type might work well given the wiring setup? I haven't gone over the whole wiring diagram yet so I'm not sure. But, I'd love to be able to put on a new speedo/odometer that might also be able to show the turn signals or at least register the stock fuel level light.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? This is my first bike and first time doing any wiring with a bike (i've done other wiring for other tools/electronics and such). I know this is possible just hoping to find some direction. I'm also heavily considering going from the stock controls to something new as I want to change the bars and the stock controls are pretty beat. And suggestions regarding this and how it would go with a new speedo would be appreciated too.

Thanks everybody and have an awesome day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2012 14:11 #497754 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '82 KZ550 LTD Cluster
Are you saying you plan to do away with the tachometer? :blink: Why? Have you ever driven a motorcycle without one? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jan 2012 14:31 #497756 by Jdee
Replied by Jdee on topic '82 KZ550 LTD Cluster
yes, i have. I'm trying to find something with just the single display. I've seen it on other bobbers and choppers and would like to get something similar if possible.

More
12 Jan 2012 15:08 - 12 Jan 2012 15:16 #497764 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic '82 KZ550 LTD Cluster
If you have some expereience with electronics, it shouldn't be too hard to make a tiny box with LED's for turn signals, fuel, and other indicators. Neutral and oil pressure are easy enough as well. I realize they won't be inside the speedo, but you could probably fit them somewhere unobtrusive.

Fuel, oil, and neutral switch the ground side of the light. Turn signals switch the positive side of the lights. You just need a 560 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor for each 3/16" LED. The fuel sensor one may need a couple more diodes.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2012 15:16 by loudhvx.

More
14 Jan 2012 12:45 #498049 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '82 KZ550 LTD Cluster

loudhvx wrote: If you have some expereience with electronics, it shouldn't be too hard to make a tiny box with LED's for turn signals, fuel, and other indicators. Neutral and oil pressure are easy enough as well. I realize they won't be inside the speedo, but you could probably fit them somewhere unobtrusive.

Fuel, oil, and neutral switch the ground side of the light. Turn signals switch the positive side of the lights. You just need a 560 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor for each 3/16" LED. The fuel sensor one may need a couple more diodes.

Use a tiny box as described above if you want the indicators for signals, oil pressure, etc. And use the following for the speedo/tach:

www.jpcycles.com/product/560-141?utm_sou...&zmac=1&zmap=560-141

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jan 2012 14:45 #498064 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '82 KZ550 LTD Cluster

650ed wrote: ... use the following for the speedo/tach:
www.jpcycles.com/product/560-141?utm_sou...&zmac=1&zmap=560-141

Can't readily see whether the neat-looking combo meter is electronic or cable driven (or mixed), but thinking the '83 KZ550 LTD at hand uses cable drive tach and speedo, unless also converted.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Jan 2012 15:17 #498905 by Jdee
Thanks for the link. That is very close to what I'm looking for and will save me some of the time from making my own panel and lights. But, like the post below says, is it cable driven like the existing cluster or would I need to convert both for it to work with this meter? I can't tell from the pictures and the specs aren't too in-depth. Have you worked with this one before at all?

More
19 Jan 2012 15:23 - 19 Jan 2012 15:25 #498907 by Jdee
ignore the last post. i found this pdf for the install and it would need a whole electronic setup to do so. not sure if I want to go this far with it. But, i'll think about it. I'm thinking of using the existing parts from the cluster with a new mount/box. Going to look into this this weekend after I finish the breakdown of the rest of the bike.

Last edit: 19 Jan 2012 15:25 by Jdee.