Bad Battery /

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2012 04:09 #496872 by MuzzleMike
Bad Battery / was created by MuzzleMike
My bike is a 1982 KZ750 LTD . I had my bike parked for 4 months do to repairs like valve shims new gaskets for covers and so on but here is my question . Before I start I found my bike was knocked onto it side I found no damage . I tried starting it and it was sluggish turning over . I had a battery tender on it while it was parked . It read fully charged . I check the volts after recharging it and it was 12.3 volts . I put my meter on it when I cranked it over and it dropped down to 7.5 volts then went up to 9.6 Volts and staid there . This battery was bought new in July and it is a lead acid battery . I have not pulled the battery out yet but I was wondering if it had leaked and I did not notice it would that cause the problem I am running into ? I can jump it with another battery and it will start up and run and the charging is at 13.4 at idle and at 4k it will go up to around 14.3 . I have not ridden much with this battery . I am wondering if maybe there is a chance I can save the battery instead of junking it ? I am planning on pulling the battery tomorrow to take a look at the levels .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Jan 2012 04:11 #496873 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bad Battery /
check the water B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2012 04:15 #496874 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Bad Battery /
I forgot to add that When I jumped it to get the bike started the battery charged up inof to restart it but after sitting for 20 min. the battery dropped down close to 9 volts .

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2012 04:17 #496875 by MuzzleMike

wireman wrote: check the water B)

I was wondering if that would cause what is happening ? I will be checking in the morning. Thank You !

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Jan 2012 04:22 #496877 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Bad Battery /
Dont jump start a bike battery off of a car/truck battery unless you turn off the ignition on car/truck first,bike charging system cant handle that big of a jolt B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2012 04:31 #496878 by MuzzleMike
I used a friends bike battery to jump it do to I was not shore if it would hurt it jumping it with my SUV . So i plaid it safe .

82 KZ750 LTD H3
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
07 Jan 2012 09:40 #496889 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Bad Battery /

MuzzleMike wrote: My bike is a 1982 KZ750 LTD . I had my bike parked for 4 months do to repairs like valve shims new gaskets for covers and so on but here is my question . Before I start I found my bike was knocked onto it side I found no damage . I tried starting it and it was sluggish turning over . I had a battery tender on it while it was parked . It read fully charged . I check the volts after recharging it and it was 12.3 volts . I put my meter on it when I cranked it over and it dropped down to 7.5 volts then went up to 9.6 Volts and staid there . This battery was bought new in July and it is a lead acid battery . I have not pulled the battery out yet but I was wondering if it had leaked and I did not notice it would that cause the problem I am running into ? I can jump it with another battery and it will start up and run and the charging is at 13.4 at idle and at 4k it will go up to around 14.3 . I have not ridden much with this battery . I am wondering if maybe there is a chance I can save the battery instead of junking it ? I am planning on pulling the battery tomorrow to take a look at the levels .

Mike

check ur battery tender as well, mine just malfunctioned on me making me think my battery was no good, needless to say i now have an extra battery :lol: