Wire overheating....can anyone advise ??

More
02 Jan 2012 02:56 #495792 by PRM068
G'day guys,

I've only had my 82 KZ1000 for a few weeks and still learning about bikes.

Today i was riding home from work, and noticed that suddenly my indicators weren't working - nor the hazard lights. Anyway, i got home and found that a fuse had blown. Easy fix.

The thing is, one indicator blinks normal speed, the other a fraction slower, and now the hazard lights kind of "flicker" on and off.

I read some posts on here about electrical problems and went to look at a couple of things. For starters the battery was dry. Bike starts great though, but dry. I put some water in it, but will get a new battery shortly.

The other thing I noticed (please see pics) is that a "red and white" wire seems to get VERY hot whilst the bike is running. Other wires don't get this hot. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or at least what this wire goes to. It's the red/white wire without the plastic cover over the join.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Jan 2012 03:21 #495793 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Wire overheating....can anyone advise ??
No wires shouldnt get hot,id check out the grounds and charging system to see whats going on B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Jan 2012 03:49 #495795 by PRM068
Replied by PRM068 on topic Wire overheating....can anyone advise ??
Can you tell me what that wire is supposed to be going to ? It seems to be the only one getting hot. Is overheating generally an indication of bad earth ?

1982 KZ1000 LTD

More
02 Jan 2012 04:30 #495798 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Wire overheating....can anyone advise ??
The fuse boxes are how old? Those old glass fuses??? hahahaha better you to replace the entire fuse box with the blade type. That, I guarantee will ease your hot wires. Perhaps your ignition switch is bad too. You have to clean all those old wire ends where they connect.
Is the white (main wire) looking a little brown? Is the box melted plastic? I bet it is. I bet you that if you change out that old and modify it to work with the blade fuses your issues will go away. check all those connections and clean them well. lube them up with that dielectic grease or however it's spelled.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
02 Jan 2012 06:59 #495802 by PRM068
Replied by PRM068 on topic Wire overheating....can anyone advise ??
Thanks - I'll check the fuse box in the mornign and see what it's all like. I was looking at the different fuses in the shop today and had read a little from other topics about switching over.

This red/white wire in question seems to go down to a "solenoid switch" - just under the indicator cam.

Peter

1982 KZ1000 LTD