Identify missing part

• Night_Train01
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jan 2012 17:23 #495657 by Night_Train01
Identify missing part was created by Night_Train01
I have started to restore a 79 KZ1000ST and am at the point of firing it up for the first time. I have no spark, I looked in the manual and see two wires heading from the coils a Pink and a Red. I then found there is something missing from my bike and it also has a Pink and Red wire, I am thinking this is why I have no spark. I also see a small bracket attached to the side of the battery box, can anyone tell me what item is missing from this pic? The red and pink wire likely plugs into it.
[img]http://[IMG]http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/316/002bmh.jpg[/img][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Jan 2012 17:34 #495658 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Identify missing part
Not sure which manual you have but the wiring diagram in my shop manual shows a resistor in line between the red/pink wires for a 79 A3,which im guessing is wired pretty much the same .
It shows the red wire coming from starter button tying into the pink wire which goes to the coils with the resistor in between the 2 B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Jan 2012 17:58 - 01 Jan 2012 17:59 #495666 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Identify missing part

wireman wrote: Not sure which manual you have but the wiring diagram in my shop manual shows a resistor in line between the red/pink wires for a 79 A3,which im guessing is wired pretty much the same .
It shows the red wire coming from starter button tying into the pink wire which goes to the coils with the resistor in between the 2 B)

E1 diagram shows the same setup.

The red wire feeds battery voltage to the resistor which feeds reduced voltage to the coils (when running).

You can probably get by with a 1-ohm, 50-watt resistor, but 100 watt-resistor is safer. Better would be a true ballast resistor which increases resistance with heat.

If you get new coils, you can probably bypass the resistor with a piece of wire.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2012 17:59 by loudhvx.

• Night_Train01
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jan 2012 18:42 #495681 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Identify missing part
Thanks, I jumped the two wires and the bike fired right up. I will look at Z1 Enterprises and see if they have a resistor.

More
01 Jan 2012 19:11 #495692 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Identify missing part
If it were me, I'd get new ignition coils,& sparkplug wires from Z1 and not run any resistors on the primary side of the coils. The Gray 2.2 ohm and Green 3.0 ohm coils are popular replacements for these older Kawasaki's along with the Accel ignition coils.

Be aware that the primary(small wires)side will need new terminations, as the Dyna and Accel coils both use ring terminals(about #10 in size) for the screw terminals.Kawasaki used 1/4" push on connections when new. When I replaced my bikes coils, I used weatherpack connectors, making it easy to remove the coils for valve adjustments rather than unscrew the primary connections, I simply unplug the connectors,& remove the coils mounting hardware.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Jan 2012 19:35 #495698 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Identify missing part

MFolks wrote: If it were me, I'd get new ignition coils,& sparkplug wires from Z1 and not run any resistors on the primary side of the coils. The Gray 2.2 ohm and Green 3.0 ohm coils are popular replacements for these older Kawasaki's along with the Accel ignition coils.

Be aware that the primary(small wires)side will need new terminations, as the Dyna and Accel coils both use ring terminals(about #10 in size) for the screw terminals.Kawasaki used 1/4" push on connections when new. When I replaced my bikes coils, I used weatherpack connectors, making it easy to remove the coils for valve adjustments rather than unscrew the primary connections, I simply unplug the connectors,& remove the coils mounting hardware.

thats a little more expensive than a resistor,especially if his stock coils are still good :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Jan 2012 23:13 - 01 Jan 2012 23:15 #495767 by Breaker19
Replied by Breaker19 on topic Identify missing part
Just Google Ballast Resistor, I found this one very quickly. Probably would fit the bill and is cheap, but as the previous writer stated, this one takes ring connectors. Your local auto parts store probably has one too, try NAPA.

Ballast Resistor

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527
Last edit: 01 Jan 2012 23:15 by Breaker19. Reason: Link failed to post.

More
02 Jan 2012 16:33 #495872 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Identify missing part

Breaker19 wrote: Just Google Ballast Resistor, I found this one very quickly. Probably would fit the bill and is cheap, but as the previous writer stated, this one takes ring connectors. Your local auto parts store probably has one too, try NAPA.

Ballast Resistor

That one looks good. The photo shows it with spade terminals installed on the bolts already.