• Page:

TOPIC:

Left turn signal blows main fuse 23 May 2006 18:00 #49535

• spearx
  • spearx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
1983 KZ-750k1 ltd twin belt

Strange happenings. Been riding for a couple of days with no problem. Then while turning into a parking lot the bike dies. All power gone – complete zero. After a few kind words expressing my displeasure, I went straight for the fuse box. The main fuse had blown. No spares on board – but was meeting a friend for lunch and he had a couple of 120v 15A fuses to get me going.

I am able to repeat the blown fuse by using my left turn signal. The signal will blink maybe once and then all goes black. While doing a quick look at the wiring under the seat I found at least one broken push on connector. It is to the accessory box that is not in use at this time. I will fix that first.

Any other locations that I should hit first for a turn signal issue like this. The turn signal switch is not the strongest part of the bike. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I will be taking it apart this weekend and pulling out the millimeter. Sigh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Left turn signal blows main fuse 23 May 2006 18:20 #49538

• TwoCam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 57
I had the same problem a few years back on my KZ1000.
Where the wire went through the left rear turn signal stem had chaffed through the insulation and shorted to ground. Took me a while to figure it out. I just put some schrink tubing over the bare spot with a thin coating of RTV silacone sealer to keep it water tight.

Left turn signal blows main fuse 26 May 2006 09:08 #50248

• spearx
  • spearx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
You are a genius. That is exactly where the problem exists. I have not removed the turn signal light. For a test I disconnected the signal at the connector under the seat. No blown fuse. I will be repairing this weekend. Thanks for the quick response.

• Page: