Bike won't crank. Help me out boys

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
08 Dec 2011 18:05 #492224 by KZ7hundy
Bike won't crank. Help me out boys was created by KZ7hundy
Rode my bike around to warm it up to perform a compression test. I did the compression test and used the start/stop switch to crank the engine even though my manual says to use the starter motor (I didn't know how to do this and I had seen it done with the switch before). Compression came out fine and I cleaned my spark plugs in acetone while they were out. Put them back in and my bike wouldn't start. It will turnover but not start (it did start up twice after so many attempts for literally a split second). As I kept trying to start it, I noticed the crank becoming weaker, checked my battery and it was .08 volts below the required. Gave it a quick charge hoping somehow that was the cause and tried to crank it up again. Still got a weak crank and no start. Checked my battery again after that one attempted crank and the battery was even less charged than before (about .18 less than the required 12 volts). I need some help on this one. Does it sound like an electrical issue? Was it my fault of using the start/stop switch to run the compression test?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2011 18:22 #492229 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic Bike won't crank. Help me out boys
did you check the spark plug gap?

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
08 Dec 2011 18:38 #492230 by KZ7hundy
Replied by KZ7hundy on topic Bike won't crank. Help me out boys
yeah i did. it looked almost spot on

More
08 Dec 2011 20:58 #492241 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bike won't crank. Help me out boys
Would remove battery, add water if needed, charge overnight, and have it load-tested.

For testing purposes and/or engine start-up , it's okay to jump the bike battery from an automobile battery PROVIDED the automobile engine is NOT running, and the automobile's ignition keys are in your pocket.

With plugs removed and grounded against the engine head, spin over the bike's engine and visually inspect the spark. Supposed to be a fat blue spark, and not a wimpy orange spark.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
09 Dec 2011 01:35 #492296 by KZ7hundy
You're the man patton. I had already ran the test and saw that wimpy orange spark and thought that was what I was looking for so hopefully it's my plugs. I'll pick up some new ones. Real quick though, what does load tested mean? Thanks a lot

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
09 Dec 2011 01:38 #492298 by KZ7hundy
And I meant to ask, since my bike ran fine before I cleaned them in acetone. Is it reasonable to assume that weakened them?

More
09 Dec 2011 02:22 #492305 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike won't crank. Help me out boys
A load test on a bike battery will determine how much cranking power it's got. Most auto parts stores can do it along with the bike shops.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 Dec 2011 09:17 #492315 by Patton

KZ7hundy wrote: And I meant to ask, since my bike ran fine before I cleaned them in acetone. Is it reasonable to assume that weakened them?

Am doubtful that acetone harmed the spark plugs.

Reason for the weak spark would imo be more likely due to inadequate voltage being received at the ignition coils' primary terminals. Could result from a weak battery or loss of voltage (eg., corroded connector) somewhere between the battery and the ignition coil.

If not already done, would also verify integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine.

How old are the plug wires?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Dec 2011 09:22 - 09 Dec 2011 09:22 #492316 by Patton

Patton wrote: ...Reason for the weak spark would imo be more likely due to inadequate voltage being received at the ignition coils' primary terminals. Could result from a weak battery or loss of voltage (eg., corroded connector) somewhere between the battery and the ignition coil....

Would compare voltage measured across battery terminals to voltage actually being received at the ignition coils.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2011 09:22 by Patton.

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
09 Dec 2011 12:31 #492337 by KZ7hundy
I couldn't tell you how old they are. They look pretty aged though. I have a multimeter I'm going to use to check some of this stuff then if that will do the trick. I guess I don't need to get new plugs as of now huh?

More
09 Dec 2011 12:52 #492341 by Patton

A common problem in the secondary loop is voltage leaking through old hard cracked deteriorated spark plug wires.

Sometimes the resistor built into the plug cap/boot has also become defective.

Or the connection between the cap and plug isn't sound. With sufficient wire length available, may snip off a short section at the wire's end to provide a better grip for the cap onto the plug.

But would first assure adequate voltage is reaching the coil primary, and visually observe the spark quality. A fat blue spark on the existing plugs would suggest that the plugs are okay. However, that doesn't guarantee the same spark quality after the plugs are installed and firing under compression.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• KZ7hundy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ700
More
09 Dec 2011 14:18 #492354 by KZ7hundy
I'm trying to take it in. So just to sum up, you don't think the starting problem is coming from anything I did with the compression test or what not? It just seems too coincidental to have the bike not running after that? Thanks again for all the help