Led conversion Pilot light problem

• moke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Been there, done that, still doing it!
More
08 Dec 2011 02:24 #492138 by moke
Im in the process of lowering power consumption and ive found a low load flasher from a previous project. Now when i attempt to use the flasher I have all four blinkers turn on instead of the two. I left the previous incandesent bulb in the cluster which barely lights and is transfering power to the other side. What can I do to correct this without using a resistor (defeats the purpose) or removing the bulb

It's not what you ride it's that you ride!

1980 Kawasaki KZ250 LTD (current project)
1978 Honda CB400
1987 Honda Elite 50 (speed project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Dec 2011 10:00 - 08 Dec 2011 10:01 #492167 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Led conversion Pilot light problem
So to test your back feeding theory, have you removed the indicator bulb, and then each turn signal side/ circuit works correctly?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 08 Dec 2011 10:01 by Motor Head.

More
08 Dec 2011 16:25 #492208 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Led conversion Pilot light problem
Are you sure you have the right flasher? You'll need a two prong no load flasher, not just any no load flasher.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• moke
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Been there, done that, still doing it!
More
08 Dec 2011 19:15 #492233 by moke
Replied by moke on topic Led conversion Pilot light problem
both sides work correctly no doubt they work when pilot is removed, otherwise all 4 blink when pilot is in would i have to wire a relay into the circuit? I understand LEDs use such low current and that causes the all four flash and both sides meet at the pilot would it be easier for me to machine out a guage plate and make my own with two leds for both sides?

It's not what you ride it's that you ride!

1980 Kawasaki KZ250 LTD (current project)
1978 Honda CB400
1987 Honda Elite 50 (speed project)

• BikeDude2002
  • User
  • Today is a good day to ride...
More
11 Dec 2011 00:44 #492604 by BikeDude2002
Replied by BikeDude2002 on topic Led conversion Pilot light problem
The use of your 'low load' flasher may or may not be low enough to cause the flasher to function properly. The flasher must be LED compatible, meaning it must be able to operate at very low current draws AND be non-load sensitive meaning the lamps will flash at the same rate regardless of the load (number of lamps, up to the maximum current draw). I suspect your flasher may be of the load sensitive type. These flashers are made to operate normally (normal flash rate) under certain conditions, but if the current draw is outside of designed range, the flasher speeds up (typically twice as fast) to notify you that a lamp is burned out. Assuming you don't have any other electrical issues, this is likely the cause. Check out the flasher at www.cwswiring.com or one of similar specifications.

78 KZ650 SR
90 Yamaha Radian