Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Dec 2011 15:44 - 01 Dec 2011 15:44 #490984 by DivideOverflow
Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play was created by DivideOverflow
I'm wondering if there is a simple solution to an issue I'm having:

My Tach needle jumps up and down when above 3krpms or so. It doesn't sound or feel like the motor is jumping around, and it is riding great. I can wiggle the tach cable as it goes into the engine from left to right, but the connector is definitely screwed on tight. Could it be missing some washer, or some other part missing that allows it to have free play?

The higher the rpms, the more it jumps up and down.

Thanks!

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew
Last edit: 01 Dec 2011 15:44 by DivideOverflow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Dec 2011 16:24 #490992 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
The tach cable inside has square shaft eds that fit into corredponding holes. Even if they canbe wiggled/loose, they tend to not really effect the operation of the tach itself unless one end has come out significantly - which would usually be the cable falling off.

Pull the ends off and check/lube cable properly.

Most likely it is the internals in the tach are getting weak.
You can hook a dremel up to the tach and try different rpms to see if it is the tach or the connection.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
01 Dec 2011 16:46 #490994 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
The inner cable may have a sharp piece that is hanging up on the outer cable covering, to see if this is the problem, remove the tach cable from the engine and tach, and then pull the inner part from the outer.

While it's apart, clean and inspect the twisted inner steel cable for damage, and lubricate with a light grease & re-assemble. If broken strands are found, only a new tach cable will repair this problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Dec 2011 18:20 #491002 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
My tach does the same thing. My cable is pretty new (couple thousand miles max) and it's been recently lubed.

Engine seems to be running pretty good. Is there anything other than the cable that could cause this? I mean the tachometer itself is 30+ years old.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
02 Dec 2011 12:17 #491096 by bearshawk
Replied by bearshawk on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
same issue... i went cafe and i am seriously coinsidering just running a GPS and getting rid of the entire gauge setup, its more annoying than anything, or i have seen a bunch of guys go with the acewell setup, they are electric i believe?

either way i would LOVE to block off the tach hole in the front of my engine, it would stay alot cleaner that way ;)

1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

More
02 Dec 2011 12:27 #491101 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play

bearshawk wrote: same issue... i went cafe and i am seriously coinsidering just running a GPS and getting rid of the entire gauge setup, its more annoying than anything, or i have seen a bunch of guys go with the acewell setup, they are electric i believe?

either way i would LOVE to block off the tach hole in the front of my engine, it would stay alot cleaner that way ;)

Offered by Z1E --
Click > www.z1enterprises.com/Tachometer-Drive-B...-Z1-KZ1000-2647.aspx

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Dec 2011 12:51 #491104 by bearshawk
Replied by bearshawk on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
Thanks patton! i remember seeing this but couldnt remember where! once i get the GPS figured out this will be first thing i buy :)

1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
02 Dec 2011 13:01 #491106 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
Yeah would be nice to block off tach output on the head and forget about leaks all together. Even replacing the seals new doesnt last all that long before you start to get another drip on your exhaust.
The acewell stuff and most newer tachs use a probe wire that goes to the ignition coils to determine engine speed.

Hmm... to bad theyre so expensive. really shouldnt be.

Veypor makes a decent unit.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
20 Jun 2018 18:08 #785543 by wakeboardr42393
Replied by wakeboardr42393 on topic Jumpy Tach readings - Cable play
My tach and speedometer both do that too. Tach has gotten a couple new cables and cleaned and lubed several times. Even got another used tachometer to try to stop the issue, better but still there. I actually cracked open the tachometer itself today and the internals don't really have much going on. A little clock spring and a "magnet coupling". Maybe the bearing inside the tach on the drive side could start to bind when it heats up due to loss of lube after 30 years or just play? It the little spring just loses it's... springiness?
It makes me feel better that other people are having the same issue that might just be old meters. I am now more confident that I'm not overlooking something stupid

1981 Kawasaki KZ 550 LTD :)
1987 BMW 325is