78' kz650 no fire on 2&3

More
21 May 2006 13:35 #48908 by mcoyle05
78' kz650 no fire on 2&3 was created by mcoyle05
im going to start from the begining.

i bought this bike about 2weeks ago not running from a guy who claimed it had points trouble. never having owned a bike b4 this point i used what i knew about cars in order to get the bike running. replaced the battery - cleaned the carbs - checked all plugs (worked) - gave the bike a full safety inspection - and then fired the bike up. the bike ran fine for a week and then quit fireing on cylinders 2&3

here is what i did:

checked spark plugs - working

checked for fire from wires, 1-4 gets nice brite spark while 2-3 gets what looks like a static spark (obviously not enough to fire)

when i opened the points caseing i noticed that on 1&4 you cannot see any spark until the advance kicks in, and on 2&3 i can see spark all the time

this is all the information i have and i am stumped the bike will still start and run fine on just 2 cylinders. any help would be nice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2006 14:26 #48917 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 78' kz650 no fire on 2&3
Generally, when you can see the points sparking all the time it means the condenser is bad.

KD9JUR

More
21 May 2006 14:46 #48919 by mcoyle05
Replied by mcoyle05 on topic 78' kz650 no fire on 2&3
well when i say all the time i dun mean a constant arc.. i mean i see it spark alot compaired to the other point that never sparks except when the advance kicks on (4500 - 9000 rpm)

sorry about being unclear