dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2011 08:30 #487392 by donthaveakawman
dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question was created by donthaveakawman
hello all i have a stupid tech question it is as follows= on my 80 kz750 (4cylinder)its got the crank trigger electronic ignition with two magnetic pickups and one spinning crank lobe non adjustable that i know of -so- theres 4 cylinders and two triggers run by the crank not the cam 1-1/2 turn ratio on those and i know its probably got some switch in there that makes it go from one side of the coil to the other ie 1-4 and 2-3 back and forth for the - mark so i was wondering since pistons 1 and 4 both hit tdc at the same time and the same with 2 and 3 and say if 1 is on its intake stroke just before the spark hits and 4 is on its exhaust stroke at the same time maybe a person could make spark plugs 1 and 4 go off at the same time maybe a little early and catch the exhaust on fire while driving down the road by taking out whatever it is that swiches to and from each cylinder per side of the crank trigger---probably not because it would most likely catch the intake on fire too and burn the riders backside i dont know any input on this welcome-maybe theres a aftermarket attatchment instead of the lobe looking thing for a better spark who knows also i understand couple of gm hei modules might do something for the preformance of the bike, how good is this upgrade and what does it do any assistanceon this matter would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2011 09:11 #487394 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
07 Nov 2011 09:36 - 07 Nov 2011 10:08 #487398 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
Am uncertain about the question presented, but here are some basics regarding the dual-coil wasted-spark ignitions.

Each ignition coil simultaneously fires both plugs through the so-called "secondary loop."

For example, when the pointer (attached to end of crankshaft) passes by the left-hand pickup module, it's supposed to cause an ignition coil to fire both outside spark plugs simultaneously.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Nov 2011 10:08 by Patton.

More
07 Nov 2011 09:36 - 07 Nov 2011 09:38 #487399 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
The HEI modules won't really do anything more than the stock ignitor, as long as it's working.

There is no way to alter the spark timing on 1 without affecting 4 and vice versa. (Same for 2 and 3.)

If you want flames shooting out of the exhaust, you would have to rig up an alternate ignition source in the muffler. That one doesn't need to be timed to the motor. It would just have it's own pulse frequency. But then you also need a way to get fuel and air into the exhaust.

You can potentially blow up the exhaust system with this so I don't recommend it. For kicks you could run the bike up to a steady 30 or 40 mph, then turn off the kill switch for a moment, then turn it back on. It'll give you quite a bang. But the risk is yours! No telling what damage may occur, but people do it.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2011 09:38 by loudhvx.

More
07 Nov 2011 10:13 #487401 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish, but if I read your posting correctly I believe you have made a couple false assumptions.

OK, first it is not possible for cylinder 1 to be on its intake stroke at the same time cylinder 4 is on its exhaust stroke. During the intake stroke the piston is moving downward; during the exhaust stroke the piston is moving upward. So since pistons 1 and 4 always move in the same direction, if piston 1 is on its intake stroke piston 4 is on its power stroke.

Second, there is no “switch in there that makes it go from one side of the coil to the other ie 1-4 and 2-3 back and forth .” One coil fires spark plugs 1 and 4 together, and the other coil fires spark plugs 2 and 3 together. This is known as a “lost spark ignition.” So when cylinder 1 is at or near the top of its compression stroke and cylinder 4 is at or near the top of its exhaust stroke, both spark plugs fire. This ignites the air fuel mix in cylinder 1 but sparks with no effect in cylinder 4. This of course is reversed when cylinder 4 is at the top of its compression stroke and cylinder 1 at the top of its exhaust stroke. Same goes for cylinders 2 and 3.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Nov 2011 11:23 - 07 Aug 2012 22:00 #487406 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question

donthaveakawman wrote: ... maybe a person could make spark... a little early and catch the exhaust on fire while driving down the road ....

Is one objective being able to voluntarily shoot flames from the muffler?

Something like this?

Oh -- Wait!
Where's OMR's mug shot? :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 22:00 by Patton.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2011 21:41 #487487 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
so they do spark together ok i guess i will rig a spark plug and maybe a coil to the exhaust to make it more like the batmobile

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2012 20:00 #541247 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic dumb ignition aftermarketecisment question
i have found glasspack mufflers are a good way to accumulate some gas after the choke has been on for a while. alot of popping when going down the road is fun.